Questions for a PA about the program they went to.

So, the admissions office of my dream school gave me the contact info of a former student, now PAC, that went through their distance program and lives not too far from me. I'm trying to come up with some questions, specifically about the program (not about admissions stats, prerequisites, etc) to ask her.

Has anyone else been able to sit down and talk to a former student about a specific program? What types of questions did you ask? What did information did you find the most interesting?

I already have a short list of questions, but want to make sure I don't have too many follow-up inquiries.

Tiffany

What were the strengths/weaknesses of the program? If a student is struggling, how is that managed? Does the goal of the program seem to be "big picture" and prepare clinicians or are they just trying to get as many people through as possible? Along with the big picture idea-- is emphasis on knowing medicine, being good with patients, working well within a team, applying what you've learned… or will they fail you if you forget to get a form signed on a rotation? And to repeat what others have said-- because its very important--Is faculty approachable and supportive? You may also want to ask for more details about the "distance program" and how that works.

Archived