Online Science classes

One of the challenged with online courses is the lab component. The Univ of New England College of Osteopathic Medicine offers nearly all the PA pre-reqs online, which include a lab component. It's highly likely the schools you apply to will accept UNE COM's courses, tho some school won't. Check ahead of time and be prepared.

http://online.une.edu/science-prerequisites/

The school I'm interested in has this on the school website.

Are on-line classes accepted?

Pre-requisites can be taken from any regionally accredited college or university. On-line or distance courses are NOT accepted. In addition, no distance lab courses will be accepted.

Would this mean that they will accept other on-line science class as long as they are not pre-reqs?

I took the majority of my pre-rec courses online at the local community college (which was thousands of dollars cheaper per course than any of the local universities with more flexible schedules due to my working alternating day/night shifts at the ER).

For my science courses (anat/phys, microbio), it was a hybrid (labs in person, distance learning online). I think I ended up taking 5-6 courses total, and it was never an issue during any of my interviews. I was actually congratulated on my grades because I was taking multiple courses at a time while working full-time, and I ended up getting into my #1 school.

So long story short, don't be scared by online courses at a community college. Just make sure that if they require a lab, to do so in-person.

I took the majority of my pre-rec courses online at the local community college (which was thousands of dollars cheaper per course than any of the local universities with more flexible schedules due to my working alternating day/night shifts at the ER).

For my science courses (anat/phys, microbio), it was a hybrid (labs in person, distance learning online). I think I ended up taking 5-6 courses total, and it was never an issue during any of my interviews. I was actually congratulated on my grades because I was taking multiple courses at a time while working full-time, and I ended up getting into my #1 school.

So long story short, don't be scared by online courses at a community college. Just make sure that if they require a lab, to do so in-person.

Do you think schools look "down" on a student that takes community college courses to raise their GPA?

• 4 weeks later...

@pm504, I would be careful about taking online science courses. Personally, I took some classes online (Genetics, Abnormal Psych, Developmental Psych) but any class that has a lab component (A&P, Micro, Biochem, ect) I would take traditionally at the college. It seems many programs explicitly state that online labs are not accepted. I actually ended up with quite a few online classes and it wasn't questioned. I also had quite a few of classes taken at a community college and that was fine as well. I didn't do it to boost my GPA, I did it because its more economical and convenient as they offer night and weekend classes. Another thing to possibly look into - many schools have articulation agreements in which community colleges will have a list of accepted courses that will transfer to the PA program or you can always refer to the PA program as well.

I contacted admissions at the schools I was interested in to confirm what classes would be equivalent. Out of the four prerequisites I have to take, three are online with online labs, and one is in class. There are through a community college and one through an online college. The schools I am applying to have confirmed that they will accept those credits...one actually sent me the information for the online college class.

I emailed copies of all my transcripts, then admissions sent me back an email with a list of the classes I needed to take. I checked I with community colleges and local universities and got a list of classes. Emailed admissions and they told me which ones to take. When I was having difficulty finding a biology class, one school directed me toward the online school and told me exactly which one to take.

I've kept all the emails so if they come back this year saying some won't work, I have proof that they confirmed that they will.

Best bet, email or call admissions. That way you know for sure.

Tiffany

Archived