pathophysiology vs microbiology

I'm hoping to graduate (BS) this next semester and due to credit load, can either take pathophysiology or microbiology.  After I graduate pathophysiology will be more difficult to take because my university doesn't offer it to post grads. Microbiology on the other hand is offered through several community colleges and I could easily take it after I graduate.  The only issue I find is that I would not have completed it when I apply (it's a prerequisite for many programs).  So which to you folks think looks better on an application? Having completed a cool class like pathophysiology, or having completed all prerequisites at the time of application?  Thanks in advance

I vote for pathophysiology, especially since you say that you can take microbiology at a later date. As long as you take micro before your schools deadline I think patho would look better. I learned a lot more in my pathophysiology that was relevant to medicine than I did when I took micro. Also, patho is really interesting, in my opinion.

How many credit hours or classes are you taking right now? Could you take pathophysiology at your current school and take microbiology at a local community college? Both classes will be very beneficial for your knowledge and your application. I loved microbiology, and many PA programs do require it as a pre-req. Pathophysiology is a great elective though. I'm taking a graduate level endocrinology course with absolutely no pathophysiology involved and it makes me hungry to learn about pathophysiology.

I would try to take both classes, but ultimately it looks better to have all your pre-reqs done with A grades when application time comes so the school can see that you already earned an A in a pre-req rather than a blank grade. Blank grades in electives are better than blank grades in pre-reqs in my opinion.

Guest MedLib42

Definitely get the prerequisites done before any extra classes! Competition is fierce and you will be competing against others with no outstanding prereqs. While many schools don't mind you having one or two prereqs outstanding, they'll sometimes still favor the individual who has completed them at the time of application. One school I applied to in particular said they had no problem with outstanding prereqs, but told me after the interview they automatically wait list those with any outstanding. 

Pathophys will be an excellent class to have under your belt as well and look great on an app, but if you can only choose one at a time, prerequisites should always take priority. As some have already mentioned, there are online pathophys classes, and you might be able to get someone to grant an exception for you to take patho post-grad.

Archived