Low GPA. Very discouraged.

My GPA is a 2.64, I am a junior in college majoring in biology. I really want to go to PA school but I don't think I can because I am not cut out for it cause of my GPA. I had a research internship my sophomore year and I hated it. I don't want to be in a lab or do research it bores me to no end... 

I try hard, I go to my professor's office hours. I always show up to class. I study and review my notes every day like I am suppose to. I do practice problems. I don't procrastinate at all. I have my homework done long before it is due. 

I am going to be retaking genchem next semester since I did very poorly in the class.(C-), I actually am doing better in organic chem than I ever did in gen chem. The general trend for me so far is I have done better in the harder classes than I have done in the 1000 level classes. But, I am not doing well enough to balance out the bad grades I got in my first semester of college.

I am feeling very discouraged since my friends barely study, show up late to class or don't go to class but they all mange to get A's or do better than me. And I am starting to wonder if I am even smart enough to be a PA...

Is there anything else I can do or should I figure out a new career path?

I have no HCE yet, I will work on that once I am done with UG

I am shadowing a PA over the winter break coming up as well. 

Here's what I'll say to you:

It can be done. I graduated from college with a 2.7 cum GPA. I decided I wanted to be a PA and then I started working VERY HARD for a LONG TIME, because I knew the deck was heavily stacked against me. You have to realize that this is an extremely long, arduous process, especially if you don't have stellar grades. The best advice I have is to get your grades up ASAP, and start accumulating patient care hours and learn about medicine from that perspective. I used to complain about having to go to work as an EMT and a CNA, but these laid the foundation for my study of medicine. At this point, it has been a 5 year journey for me, and I'm not into PA school yet. I'm ok with both of those facts because I accept my undergrad performance was anemic at best. ANYTHING is possible, but you have to be willing to work extremely hard for it, and know that the road ahead isn't going to be easy.

Just keep trying to improve your GPA while you continue your undergraduate degree. I know some schools will take into consideration if you trend upwards in your grades the further you get through your degree and the harder classes you take. Don't be discouraged. Just keep in mind that there may be some additional work to do after you are done with you undergraduate degree. My recommendations are: get a lot of HCE, take the GRE and do great on it, and take additional classes post-undergraduate to increase your science and overall GPA. CASPA takes ALL your grades into consideration when calculating your GPA, not per institution. Therefore, any classes you didn't take during your undergraduate degree, I would take after you graduate (for example, I did not take Microbiology during my undergraduate degree, but many schools required it as a pre-requisite so I took it this past summer). Programs do want to see that you can handle the intense courseload that PA school will bring, so I definitely think it will help to increase your GPA as much as possible. Your GPA does not necessarily have to be stellar like some applicants are in the 3.8+ region. I was just recently accepted to the first two programs I interviewed at, and my overall GPA was 3.66 and Science GPA was 3.4. I would say that my GPAs were about average for PA applicants. Just keep working hard and try to strengthen all aspects of your application. Like RealWayPA said, you may have to take a few years post your undergraduate degree to work as an EMT or CNA, but that will greatly strengthen your application. Good Luck!

To second what Holly_Diana said:

1) Based on the experiences of people on these forums, it is entirely possible to get into PA school with a low-ish GPA. However, you DEFINITELY need to get your cum GPA above 3.0, unless you have some serious serious prior HCE, which you said you don't. I ended up going back to school either part-time or full-time for the past FOUR YEARS in order to get my cum and science GPA in a competitive place.

2) HCE: I initially complained about the fact that I had to accumulate lots of HCE to make up for my GPA. As the years have gone on, however, I recognize just how valuable all of this experience has been. I've worked as an EMT, CNA and now ER Tech, and all of those jobs (especially in the emergency department) has been extremely valuable. I've accumulated what I consider to be a pretty substantial medical knowledge base as a result - its a good starting point for PA school.

3) Intelligence: The OP commented that he feels he may not be smart enough to become a PA. Hogwash! When I decided to become a PA, I had never taken a "real" science class, I got almost straight C's in every high school class I had ever taken and about half of my undergraduate classes, and I only got in the 35th percentile in the GRE. However, I evaluated all of the myriad deficiencies I had, and then committed to work VERY HARD in order to compensate for them. In my personal experience, there isn't a single undergraduate science or non-science class that you can't do at least reasonably well in as long as you are willing to put in maximum effort. Getting good grades in prerequisite classes is as much about effort as it is about intelligence, if not more so. Same thing with taking the GRE: I absolutely SUCK at math, but I studied a little bit every day for a long time, and essentially taught myself all of the high school and college math that I was too lazy to learn properly the first time around.

I'm not a terrifically smart person. I'm of average intelligence at best. BUT....

...MOTIVATION + HARD WORK =

Science GPA - 3.8 (including getting an "A" in a graduate bacterial pathogenesis class)

Cum GPA - went from 2.7 (5 years ago) to 3.2 now (after taking over 80 credits of post-bacc classes)

IT CAN BE DONE. So get motivated, get angry, dig your heels in, and get it done. If you TRULY want to be a PA, you will work towards becoming a PA regardless of how long it takes and how many set-backs you suffer.

• 3 weeks later...

My GPA is a 2.64...

I have no HCE yet ...

Short answer: 1) rectify these two problems.  It is not possible to make an informed decision about PA shcool without having had your hands on patients.  Many schools require 1000+ hours of direct patient care in one form or another.  The only way to fix the gpa is to take more classes and earn higher grades...hard to get around that one.  I've wrestled with unsavory grades, and overcame it by taking high-load semesters with 2+ science courses/labs and earning high grades.  It sucks, but it works.

2) If you want this, then whatever you do, don't give up.  You may find out at some point that you don't want it, or that you want to change direction, but don't walk away from it because you are giving it up.  There's nothing wrong with taking a break for a bit while you get your stuff straightened out, in fact it may even be beneficial for you.  Keep at it!

Have you considered getting a bachelor's degree in PA Studies?  I know there are several institutions in the Northeast that offer that major.  I'm thinking about going to Pennsylvania College of Technology, an open enrollment college that offers a major in PA Studies.

2 things are paradoxically true: Anything is possible, and some things are just not meant to be.  Only you can decide what's realistic for you.  Does your GPA reflect your hardest work and dedication to study of science?  Or do you feel you're becoming a strong science student with an upward trend?  As someone who had to spend two years raising my GPA for PA school application, I can echo the sentiments above: going from a 2-point-anything to anywhere in the ballpark of acceptance takes time (years) and consistently high marks (hard work).  On the other hand, if you decide to pursue PA school, the expectation of years more study might allow you to go above and beyond in your studies--to stand out and carve a niche for yourself that separates you from the 1500 other applicants you're up against at each school.  Maybe there's a two or three year program out there for you that allows you to pursue your interests, develop medical skills, and strengthens your resume as one that really stands out among so many 3.6 EMTs applying these days.  That's not a knock on emergency medicine by any means, but a degree in something unique--nursing, acupuncture, occupational therapy, PT assistant, herbal medicine, nutrition/dietetics, even psych or social work--would give you career in and of itself as well as the chance to develop some really useful and coveted skills.  Good luck! 

Archived