Institutionalizing the 'inferiority' of PAs

You're sort of right. It's only "illegal" to falsely portray or disclose your status as a PA. So as long as you either introduce yourself or have a visible name badge, you're fine. No one has to ask the patient if they want to see a PA, they only have to be made aware you are indeed a PA.

As far as a union...It sounds great on paper. But I'm not sure you understand how much of an undertaking that would be to get enough PAs on board, elect union government, collect union dues, plus get everyone to come to a consensus, vote, and draft union bylaws that would benefit the whole of the profession and not hamstring us. Keep in mind there are more NPs than PAs. If our demands were too steep, employers would just preferentially hire NPs, or those PAs who did not unionize. Unions only work when there are sufficient numbers and organization to grab employers by the balls and make them acquiesce in order to utilize our services. PAs--while vital--still have a minority market share of the midlevel workforce. 

I think local or practice-specific unions would work best, as in an ED providers union for a given region or group of hospitals. 

As to your last point, I agree some PAs fancy themselves de facto doctors, at least in their own minds. As a profession we just need to be careful we are pushing in the right direction---i.e. appropriate autonomy, fair compensation, and professional respect rather than just creeping up on MDs, which I dont really see as a problem.

good points.

I agree to the NP thing. PAs unionize, no one hires us; they hire NPs or "scab" PAs (that sounds so lovely).

good idea about local/specialty.

I think PAs overall are going to be at a disadvantage with the growing trend towards corporations hiring mid-levels in-house to enhance (their own) worker productivity - with a PA, they have to also pay an SP. with an NP, they don't.

so many threads and comments here suggest that many PAs WANT to be mixed up with or considered to be a doctor, and kind of get off on it...well that's just TOO BAD! you/we took the shortcut to have the PRIVILEGE of practicing medicine and you're/we're lucky to have had the opportunity to do so!!...so just eat a little humble pie and be proud of who you are, and quit whining and bitching about how you're not "treated like a doctor". NEWS FLASH: WE'RE NOT DOCTORS!!!

ahem. thank you

This x1000.

Why do you think PAs are thin skinned?

well, for one thing, look at your avatar (lol)

I think this bc usually at least half of all posts on this forum are complaints about what we are called, how we are treated (not like a doctor - HMPH!), and other relentless whiny-sounding annoyances.

I think we apply and train to become PAs; act like a PA! accept who you are and get on with your job! which requires also checking the ego at the door.

I'll be the first to say that being a PA sux as far as how we are scutted and all the other endless BS you have to put up with - esp in HOSPITALS - and the first chance I get I'm getting out and never looking back. 

I think there are a lot of real issues coming up in terms of the basis on which PAs are being hired (1099, for example) which are REALLY bad for the profession, but if I see one more post titled, "name change for PAs".....who gives a flying f&ck? if you didn't want "assistant" as part of your title, you should not have picked this profession. and to have a forum so heavily weighted to this topic...oy.

ahem...thank you :)

why do PAs have such a chip on their shoulder about being PAs? so many threads and comments here suggest that many PAs WANT to be mixed up with or considered to be a doctor, and kind of get off on it...well that's just TOO BAD! you/we took the shortcut to have the PRIVILEGE of practicing medicine and you're/we're lucky to have had the opportunity to do so!!...so just eat a little humble pie and be proud of who you are, and quit whining and bitching about how you're not "treated like a doctor". NEWS FLASH: WE'RE NOT DOCTORS!!!

ahem. thank you

Obviously, some of us do. I agreed. We're not MD/DO. Every practice is different. Certain policy are in place for one reasons or the other. What works in yours doesn't at my end.

I think this bc usually at least half of all posts on this forum are complaints about what we are called, how we are treated (not like a doctor - HMPH!), and other relentless whiny-sounding annoyances...

...I think we apply and train to become PAs; act like a PA! accept who you are and get on with your job! which requires also checking the ego at the door.

I think there are a lot of real issues coming up in terms of the basis on which PAs are being hired (1099, for example) which are REALLY bad for the profession, but if I see one more post titled, "name change for PAs".....who gives a flying f&ck? if you didn't want "assistant" as part of your title, you should not have picked this profession. and to have a forum so heavily weighted to this topic...oy.

You should check out what the students & docs whine about on SDN... on second thought, best to avoid Mos Eisley.

At least from my lowly, short experience as a student, we're really being pushed to be at the top of our game. They program is saying "you're not an assistant". But then you get out and a lot of people think you're an MA, disrespect you from the onset, etc.

I can certainly understand why some PAs want the "A" changed to associate. It's all about perception and what people think. And words and labels are powerful. Think of some that really color your perceptions in everyday life...

well, for one thing, look at your avatar (lol)

That dude is not a PA.  And I don't understand why your rant is getting likes for jumping to the defense of that stupid piece of the paper he's talking about.  I have never seen a patient asked to sign paper if they get a script from the RPh instead of a PharmD, counseling from an MS instead of a PsyD, lab testing from an MLT instead of an MLS, or on and on.  Far as I am aware, law suggests your credentials be clear and you intro yourself appropriately, no paperwork necessary.

I guess I'll assume stuff about your avatar now.

I like Johnny's avatar.

I like the avatar too! I LOVE yosemite sam! but wasn't he one of the most thin-skinned characters ever to stomp across a cartoon?

maybe you missed the LOL - it was just a joke.

I have been treated like gold by many people I have worked for and like crap by many others. and then there is all the "behind-the-back" stuff that goes on, so I don't believe anybody at face value in medicine anymore. don't expect friends, just be collegial, ignore the BS, and do your job.

I think to say PAs are whiney undermines our profession. If PAs had not "whined" in the past then perhaps we still wouldn't write scripts or get paid what we do etc. So I wouldn't say we as a whole are not thick skinned. It takes a certain amount of dissatisfaction to motivate change. Of course the key idea here is to do something and not just complain, but discussion often precedes action.

As far as PAs wanting to be mistaken for a doctor. I think I speak on behalf of most PAs saying I don't care to ever be mistaken for a doc. What I would love, on the other hand, is for people to know wth a PA is and give me the credit I deserve. Actually my patients don't disrespect me besides the types that disrespect everyone including docs. In fact usually what happens is I see the pt, have a thorough h and p, and then walk out wondering if they knew I was their practitioner (of course I should wear my white coat but prefer not to).

I don't expect to be paid or treated like a doc as I am not a doc and if I want to be a doc I will go back to school. But I am all for improving our PR and status in the hospital and amongst our patients. There are some PAs out there working solo or working the scope of a doc. Those PAs deserve the same respect a doc does and again it's not that we want to be thought of as a doctor, it's that we want to be thought of as a PA in a positive light. And I am all for a name change. Our scope changed drastically but our title has not and that is a shame.

I think to say PAs are whiney undermines our profession. If PAs had not "whined" in the past then perhaps we still wouldn't write scripts or get paid what we do etc. So I wouldn't say we as a whole are not thick skinned. It takes a certain amount of dissatisfaction to motivate change. Of course the key idea here is to do something and not just complain, but discussion often precedes action.

As far as PAs wanting to be mistaken for a doctor. I think I speak on behalf of most PAs saying I don't care to ever be mistaken for a doc. What I would love, on the other hand, is for people to know wth a PA is and give me the credit I deserve. Actually my patients don't disrespect me besides the types that disrespect everyone including docs. In fact usually what happens is I see the pt, have a thorough h and p, and then walk out wondering if they knew I was their practitioner (of course I should wear my white coat but prefer not to).

I don't expect to be paid or treated like a doc as I am not a doc and if I want to be a doc I will go back to school. But I am all for improving our PR and status in the hospital and amongst our patients. There are some PAs out there working solo or working the scope of a doc. Those PAs deserve the same respect a doc does and again it's not that we want to be thought of as a doctor, it's that we want to be thought of as a PA in a positive light. And I am all for a name change. Our scope changed drastically but our title has not and that is a shame.

I'm just talkin' about the whiners. and they ARE out there :)

Archived