Online A&P

I've been a Medical Technologist since 2008.  For the sake of my family, last year we moved to Northeast Montana.  The lab's only open from 7-5 and the rest of the time it's covered by call, so it's a pretty nice job for family life.  Unfortunately, the nearest community college is 1.5 hours away and has only one A&P section that is in the morning, so that's out, and staffing is too short for me to take 5-week "vacations" for the next two summers.  Plus, once my EMT-B license comes through, I'll be running part time with the local EMS, and staffing's always an issue for them.  It doesn't help that I'm the sole breadwinner for my family of five.

While it is definitely not ideal, it seems the only way I can take A&P while continuing to work will be online.  Are there any PA programs out there that would accept that?  Especially if offset by other qualifications?  All the ones I'm finding (completely understandably) insist on it being done with a lab.

As to how I managed to get my MT without taking A&P:  long story.

Contact programs directly to see if they will accept online A&P.  I have an MLS and did not take A&P.  I am taking A&P now.  It's a joke compared to the MLS program I attended.  I see extremely limited value in the in-lab lab vs an online component and, of course, I utilize online methods to study for the in-lab lab.  I am only taking it live for the anti-online prejudice factor.

MLS here also, the physio portion was relatively easy in comparison and the anatomy is just memorization as always (The Acland videos are amazing for this). There are plenty of programs that will have no issues with it. While pricey UNE has a good reputation for quality. OHSU was the only program that was explicit that they would not accept an online lab, even though I was working in anatomic pathology at the time and was regularly involved in autopsies.

• 3 weeks later...

Contact programs directly to see if they will accept online A&P.  I have an MLS and did not take A&P.  I am taking A&P now.  It's a joke compared to the MLS program I attended.  I see extremely limited value in the in-lab lab vs an online component and, of course, I utilize online methods to study for the in-lab lab.  I am only taking it live for the anti-online prejudice factor.

+1.  Online with an in-person lab may very well be acceptable.

Archived