interview question

Guest MedLib42

There really isn't one standard "most liked" answer. ADCOMs don't want to hear every applicant come in and recite the same thing; they want to hear what the more personal answer - the reason that's true for you. I've worked interviews at my own school now for two cycles, and have to say I've seen a lot of very different answers from students who wind up getting accepted. ADCOMs tend to frown on the ones that seem rehearsed to sound like what the interviewee thinks the faculty wants to hear. ADCOMs are great at sniffing those out... they enjoy honesty.

Make sure your answer isn't too short/underdeveloped and doesn't sound uneducated about the profession (example: "I saw it on the Forbes list of best careers" or "It's shorter" or "The money is good").

My advice: make sure your answer is well developed and intelligent, and includes your own personal, honest reasons. Make sure you are well aware of the differences between PA and MD, including the smaller, less obvious ones. Make a list of the things you like and dislike about each profession, and you should have enough to think about to formulate it into an answer. You might want to include things you love about working in the healthcare profession already that you'll be able to continue or expand upon as a PA. And if you haven't shadowed a PA or MD yet, I would strongly recommend shadowing both - that will help you develop your answer even more. If you chose PA simply because it's shorter, be up front about that, but make sure you specify why that's so important to your specific situation, and include some of the other things you think you'll enjoy about being a PA into the explanation as well.

This thread might help you out: http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/15010-medical-school-vs-physician-assistant-school/

What would be the most liked answer in interview when they ask . " why did you choose PA and no physician"

I would say "PA school seemed easier, more time off as a PA, more time with patients, etc"...you know, all the regular stuff. That should be pretty well liked by the Adcom.

Disclaimer: Don't say that...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The answer to the question requires a personal answer.

For example, some might say in response;

1.) Main goal is primary care and I believe PA school fulfills that ultimate goal

2.) It's a young and growing field that I'd like to not only be apart of, but hopefully contribute towards it on a state or federal level

3.) The flexibility to transition from one specialty to another. (Although it's not as easy as someone think, but the possibility is there.)

4.) Allows one to settle down earlier compared to their medical school student colleagues.

5.) Again, it will fulfill that desire that I have to treat patients and I enjoy the collaborative nature of the field.

How about you just tell them why YOU chose PA school?

They aren't looking for a canned answer.  There is no right or wrong answer...well there are definitely wrong answers.  If you made it to an interview, you've already passed the litmus test and they are interested in learning more about YOU.

For me, I never even considered being a doctor, who wants to do that?

Give them an honest answer. Did a PA inspired you somehow? Are you passionate about the missions and goals of being a PA? They want to know that you've investigate other healthcare professions because they don't want to waste a seat on someone who did not do research and will switch fields 1-3 years in. If you haven't looked into the other fields, it would be a good time to do some research.

This question comes up all the time.

Archived