Can a PA be a CEO?

My mother is an RN and a director of a subset of a big chain of hospitals in New York. The other day she was mentioning that her boss is also a nurse and the CEO of that company.

It got me thinking: can PAs ever get to that if they go the administrative route or is that just reserved for docs and nurses?

If so, how could one accomplish such a feat?

If your goal is CEO of a pharm or hospital I would recommend an MBA over an MPH with a health mgmt focus. MBA generally require some experience in business ... does not have to be any full time role necessarily especially for the executive MBA programs in healthcare. Look into the programs at Columbia and Yale if you are in those regions. If your goal is more middle level mgmt, Chief PA, clinic director then perhaps you do not need a formal degree with all the high costs and potentially unrelated course requirements. You could look into some of the health leadership certificate programs that many hospital centers offer. I just saw a program at harvard business school on somebodies CV. I bet some schools offer this work online. 

Archived