Application cycle for Fall 2015

I appreciate your responses. I do know that DYC offers mostly health related professional degrees. As far as I understood, they will most probably would want me to know the integrative medical care as opposed to segmental, where all health care providers would work in a relationship to provide optimum health care to the patient both physically and psychologically. Would you recommend me to prepare for behavioral and ethics related scenario questions? Did you get any on your interview?

Michael,

Thank you sir for being very helpful!   

Oh definitely prepare for ethical related scenarios. Like I mentioned previously, they give you short test with about 10 questions (answer in bullet points) and one ethical scenario which you need to respond w/ short answer prior to your interview to gauge who you are, and what other questions they have to ask you about your responses. I actually recall my ethical question; but be aware they may not ask the same one:

Not verbatim btw "In a situation where a young boy whom you are the pcp for, comes in with his mother showing signs of abuse. How do you handle this situation"

And Michael, you're very welcome. I remember when I was preparing for the applying and then the interview and I couldn't find any resources specific to D'Youville College so I just want to provide that for those who are serious! Also, I'm a lady btw hahah, it's totally cool though, I understand the confusion of my nickname.

Sincerely,

Melanie

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh definitely prepare for ethical related scenarios. Like I mentioned previously, they give you short test with about 10 questions (answer in bullet points) and one ethical scenario which you need to respond w/ short answer prior to your interview to gauge who you are, and what other questions they have to ask you about your responses. I actually recall my ethical question; but be aware they may not ask the same one:

Not verbatim btw "In a situation where a young boy whom you are the pcp for, comes in with his mother showing signs of abuse. How do you handle this situation"

And Michael, you're very welcome. I remember when I was preparing for the applying and then the interview and I couldn't find any resources specific to D'Youville College so I just want to provide that for those who are serious! Also, I'm a lady btw hahah, it's totally cool though, I understand the confusion of my nickname.

Sincerely,

Melanie

I apologize for my imprudence with your name. Definitely, it is very hard too find any relevant info. I, myself have been looking all over the web for information related to DYC's admission and interview process. I'm very glad that people like you are there helping fellow Pre-PAs get in to PA school. Congrats again on your acceptance to the program. Thank you!

I apologize for my imprudence with your name. Definitely, it is very hard too find any relevant info. I, myself have been looking all over the web for information related to DYC's admission and interview process. I'm very glad that people like you are there helping fellow Pre-PAs get in to PA school. Congrats again on your acceptance to the program. Thank you!

No worries and you're very welcome!! Let me know if you have anymore questions. And thank you!

Melanie

No worries and you're very welcome!! Let me know if you have anymore questions. And thank you!

Melanie

Hello Melanie, 

How are you? I was going through different threads here and have few more questions about your interview experience in DYC. Were you offered a campus tour before or after actual interview? Approximately how many questions were asked in total? You mentioned that DYC runs group interviews and I was wondering if they ask same questions from all three applicants or they might change question from student to student? Also, how did you approach questions where the applicant before you has given pretty solid answer and you don't really have much to add to it? I'm sorry to bother you with my questions, but I'm very excited and little nervous about the process.

Overall, what would be your advise on how to prepare to the interview process other being natural and relaxed. Any specific unexpected situation(s)....?

Have a great holidays and happy new year! 

Best regards, 

Michael

Hello Melanie, 

How are you? I was going through different threads here and have few more questions about your interview experience in DYC. Were you offered a campus tour before or after actual interview? Approximately how many questions were asked in total? You mentioned that DYC runs group interviews and I was wondering if they ask same questions from all three applicants or they might change question from student to student? Also, how did you approach questions where the applicant before you has given pretty solid answer and you don't really have much to add to it? I'm sorry to bother you with my questions, but I'm very excited and little nervous about the process.

Overall, what would be your advise on how to prepare to the interview process other being natural and relaxed. Any specific unexpected situation(s)....?

Best regards, 

Michael

Hi Michael, 

Hope your holidays are going well! I'm going to try to tackle each question in the order you asked:

Were you offered a campus tour before or after actual interview? Yes, campus tours are available after your interview. It is completely optional, if you choose to not take the tour for any reason (I didn't, because I was a current sophomore in their biology program so I knew the school already) there are no penalties whatsoever. The tour is guided by current PA students, where you can also ask them questions about their education (most I noticed were in the didactic year, so it's nice being able to ask them what its like exactly).

Approximately how many questions were asked in total? As far as I could remember the only questions asked were the ones I previously listed on the forum, however, just to be safe let's say an additional 1 or 2... so total, I'd approximate around 6-8 questions. 

You mentioned that DYC runs group interviews and I was wondering if they ask same questions from all three applicants or they might change question from student to student? Yes, one of the 3 interviewers will ask one question and will choose who to start with, from that point they expect everyone to answer after the person to your right or left answers first. It's challenging in that aspect because the questions can sometimes be so general that it's difficult to think of something unique or different from that of the person next to you. It's important to remember however that the 2 other students being interviewed along with you are NOT competition, all 3 of you could be accepted, 2 of you, 1 of you or none of you so do not try to belittle someone else, or try to over top their answers. If someone answered a question how you would've liked to, simply say "I really like how you answered that ____" or "I agree with you in that _____ but I also think this ____" etc. They want to see that, because the PA profession is all about group and team effort... show them you're a team player! (Sorry, huge tangent haha), back to your question... for the most part all questions are asked of each student... but they could ask you specifically one, if they wanted to. For example, a girl to my left while being interviewed was a nutritionist and she was asked specifically why she wanted to change her profession to PA.

Also, how did you approach questions where the applicant before you has given pretty solid answer and you don't really have much to add to it? I sort of just addressed this question in my previous answer but like I said before, if another applicant said something you wish you had the chance to say first, simply note that you found it a solid answer, or that you liked the way the person put it. I actually found myself in this predicament during my interview, and I complimented the girl for how she answered and how I really liked some of the points she brought up.. and then I faced the interviewers again (completely nervous) and just reiterated what I thought (similar to her answer, but I tried putting it in my own words as best as possible).

Overall, what would be your advise on how to prepare to the interview process other being natural and relaxed. Any specific unexpected situation(s)....? This is going to be vague but; expect the unexpected! I was currently a premed/biology major at the college prior to applying and so the program had access to my current mid term grades, and I was struggling with microbiology at the time... and so in preparation for the interview I came up with a response if they were to ask me what was going on with my mid term grade. If there's anything on your transcript you're insecure about, prepare yourself because they might ask about it, and you want to be ready (you don't want to be so shocked and scared that you being flustered). As for overall advise on preparing for the interview process, all I can say is be yourself. If you don't have a great answer, that's okay. Show them who Michael is, and why you'd make a great PA! They want to see you're a person first and not just a science wiz! 

Also!!! Happy Holidays and Happy New year to you too!!  :) 

Hope this helps!,

Melanie

Hello Melanie, 

Best regards, 

Michael

Oh also, I wanted to add ... don't sit in the middle if you get the option to choose... I sat in the middle because I was afraid to go in first haha. And when you're in the middle you always get the question second (so it's sometimes difficult trying to think of an answer that's different than the person who just answered).

Also, as a professional make sure you introduce yourself formally to each interviewer (smile, shake their hand etc).

Melanie

Hi Michael, 

Hope your holidays are going well! I'm going to try to tackle each question in the order you asked:

Were you offered a campus tour before or after actual interview? Yes, campus tours are available after your interview. It is completely optional, if you choose to not take the tour for any reason (I didn't, because I was a current sophomore in their biology program so I knew the school already) there are no penalties whatsoever. The tour is guided by current PA students, where you can also ask them questions about their education (most I noticed were in the didactic year, so it's nice being able to ask them what its like exactly).

Approximately how many questions were asked in total? As far as I could remember the only questions asked were the ones I previously listed on the forum, however, just to be safe let's say an additional 1 or 2... so total, I'd approximate around 6-8 questions. 

You mentioned that DYC runs group interviews and I was wondering if they ask same questions from all three applicants or they might change question from student to student? Yes, one of the 3 interviewers will ask one question and will choose who to start with, from that point they expect everyone to answer after the person to your right or left answers first. It's challenging in that aspect because the questions can sometimes be so general that it's difficult to think of something unique or different from that of the person next to you. It's important to remember however that the 2 other students being interviewed along with you are NOT competition, all 3 of you could be accepted, 2 of you, 1 of you or none of you so do not try to belittle someone else, or try to over top their answers. If someone answered a question how you would've liked to, simply say "I really like how you answered that ____" or "I agree with you in that _____ but I also think this ____" etc. They want to see that, because the PA profession is all about group and team effort... show them you're a team player! (Sorry, huge tangent haha), back to your question... for the most part all questions are asked of each student... but they could ask you specifically one, if they wanted to. For example, a girl to my left while being interviewed was a nutritionist and she was asked specifically why she wanted to change her profession to PA.

Also, how did you approach questions where the applicant before you has given pretty solid answer and you don't really have much to add to it? I sort of just addressed this question in my previous answer but like I said before, if another applicant said something you wish you had the chance to say first, simply note that you found it a solid answer, or that you liked the way the person put it. I actually found myself in this predicament during my interview, and I complimented the girl for how she answered and how I really liked some of the points she brought up.. and then I faced the interviewers again (completely nervous) and just reiterated what I thought (similar to her answer, but I tried putting it in my own words as best as possible).

Overall, what would be your advise on how to prepare to the interview process other being natural and relaxed. Any specific unexpected situation(s)....? This is going to be vague but; expect the unexpected! I was currently a premed/biology major at the college prior to applying and so the program had access to my current mid term grades, and I was struggling with microbiology at the time... and so in preparation for the interview I came up with a response if they were to ask me what was going on with my mid term grade. If there's anything on your transcript you're insecure about, prepare yourself because they might ask about it, and you want to be ready (you don't want to be so shocked and scared that you being flustered). As for overall advise on preparing for the interview process, all I can say is be yourself. If you don't have a great answer, that's okay. Show them who Michael is, and why you'd make a great PA! They want to see you're a person first and not just a science wiz! 

Also!!! Happy Holidays and Happy New year to you too!!  :) 

Hope this helps!,

Melanie

Thank you for detailed, insight information. I really appreciate it. Enjoy your holidays and good luck on your journey of becoming a PA!

Hi Melanie,

First of all congratulations on your acceptance! I just want to thank you for posting all of this information in regards to the interview at D'Youville. I have mine on January 10th and knowing more specifics about the group interview and some potential questions has definitely relieved some of the nervousness I have been feeling. I do have one question for you though.

In regards to the 10 question "test", do they have you complete it in the interview room and are you allotted a certain amount of time?

Thanks,

Alyssa

Hi Melanie,

First of all congratulations on your acceptance! I just want to thank you for posting all of this information in regards to the interview at D'Youville. I have mine on January 10th and knowing more specifics about the group interview and some potential questions has definitely relieved some of the nervousness I have been feeling. I do have one question for you though.

In regards to the 10 question "test", do they have you complete it in the interview room and are you allotted a certain amount of time?

Thanks,

Alyssa

Hi Alyssa,

First of all, thank you! :) and you are very welcome! 

To answer your question: Yes. You'll  begin the interview day by mingling with faculty and current students for what felt like half an hour. You are allowed to bring someone, if it helps keep you calm of if you're bad at mingling lol. After that time, they bring you into another room where the test/questionnaire is handed out (you'll have a different test then the person next to you). You get 20 minutes to answer all questions, front and back! Answer in bullet points (they want about 2-3 bullets for each question, keep it as specific as possible), but the final question is an ethical scenario... answer in full length sentences as best as you can. Maybe even start with the ethical question but don't spend too much time on it, 20 minutes goes by super fast, you'll be surprised! They will repeat these same instructions again the day of, so don't worry about it too much.

Hope this helps, respond back if you have any more questions! Good luck with your interview, you'll do fine! 

Melanie

For those being interviewed this upcoming Saturday, Jan 10th I just wanted to wish good luck! You'll be fine!!

Just some important last minute tips that worked for me:

1.Bring a friend if you can, it helps keep you calm before officially walking into the room... I brought my boyfriend actually but before signing in I had him go home because I wanted to focus better and spend more time meeting my possible fellow peers. However, it's your choice if you want your friend to come in with you! There's no judgement if you do or don't from what I saw.

2.Breathe, and relax. They know you're nervous, so it's okay to seem so but do your best to appear calm and confident! 

3.Have something to eat or drink while mingling, the food is there for you, and it helps calm a nervous stomach.. You don't want your stomach grumbling when being interviewed!

4. Bathroom break. Make sure you use the restroom prior to the interview or prior to walking in.

5.Be yourself! and never try to bring down the person sitting next to you in the interview. PAs work together, they want to see that you can interact with other people and be a team player... so be nice!

Again, Good luck to everyone, even if I've helped a single person- that's amazing in it's own.

Melanie

Hello Melanie,

I just wanted to thank you one more time. Your advises and help were invaluable. Again, I wish you all the best luck and strength in your future beginnings! 

Hi Melanie,

Thanks,

Alyssa

Hello Alyssa,

How are you? My name is Michael. I'm following this thread very closely and wanted to ask you on how your interview went? I know, you had yours on 10th. I'm sure you did just fine! Would you mind sharing your experience? Did they told you, when they will contact you with the decision? 

I'm trying to apply to this program myself and have everything finished in terms of pre-reqs. 

I really appreciate your response.

I wish you the best luck on your admission decision!

Thanks

Hi Michael,

I was super nervous going into the interview but honestly it was such an amazing experience! I went alone since I live locally and I wanted to be able to mingle with staff and students. I was nervous because I thought I was going to have to mingle with staff a lot more than expected,however, when I first arrived I just sat with other applicants. I found that most of the applicants were either currently in college, had graduated or were making career changes and were a bit older. There was only 1 group of high schoolers interviewing I believe. After getting my name tag, which kept falling off, I talked with other interviewees and a current student in his didactic year. He asked a lot of questions and it was nice to be able to pick his brain about the difficulty of the program because of course the faculty is going to say it's super difficult and time consuming, etc. Then all the interviewees, around 40, were directed into a large room where the faculty spoke about the program and introduced themselves. We were then handed a 10 question "test," Melanie previously mentioned what types of questions were on there but I can restate from my memory, which isn't very good because the morning was such a blur looking back! Anyways, I had plenty of time to complete the questions and then we were broken up into our interview groups. I was interviewing with 2 other guys who were both undergraduates, one at dyouville and one at st. Bonaventure. Our interview group didn't go into the interview room until 11:25 I'd say so I got to know the guys I was interviewing with pretty well. There were also current PA students in the room who helped calm nerves by giving us tips and telling us what they were asked and giving us info on the faculty interviewers. The time to get to know those students as well as the guys I was interviewing with really calmed my nerves. We all had different experiences and were at different points in our lives so it was pretty cool how unique each of us were. After what seemed like forever, we were directed into the room. That day was really snowy so there were only 2 interviewers in the room because one couldn't make it, Laura Grable and John T.(I can't remember how to spell his last name...its really long) who is a PA in Rochester and a graduate of the program. Knowing there were only 2 people instead of 3 also helped calm my nerves. We were offered water, which all 3 of us took and that helped to keep my throat clear while speaking. I sat in the middle and the guys always answered first, but I didn't find that any of us had super overlapping answers to the point where we had to say I agree with blank and then add a little. I was always able to come up with an answer that wasn't the same as theirs. I don't remember all the questions but I will do my best to list what I do remember below. It took around 20 minutes and then we were free to leave. I don't think they were giving tours that day unless someone wanted one really bad because it was snowy and very windy out. They did tell us that we would find out within 10 days. However, today marks 10 days and still nothing. I contacted the admissions counselor who helped with my application materials and she said they haven't heard anything yet from the PA Dept. I'm hoping to hear VERY soon:) I was WAYYYY over prepared, but honestly they just want to get to know you and hear about your experiences and why you want to become a PA.

Questions on "Test"

-What is difference between a PA and NP education

-why PA

-do you feel the 80 hours of patient contact dyouville requires was beneficial and why/why not

-tell about patient contact experiences

-what will you do if you're not accepted

-role of a PA

-did you shadow a PA? if so, what was the experience like.

-ethical question: you have been mrs. smiths PCP for several years and after a recent appt you get a call from the pharmacy saying that she already has a script for the pain medication you also wrote her a script for. What would you do in this situation. (something like that....not direct wording but close)

-2 other questions that I don't remember, but just know everything about PA profession cold, like Melanie said!

Interview Questions:

They said we answered everything on our "tests" great so they were impressed!

-why pa

-strengths

-weaknesses specifically related to completion of PA program

-asked to elaborate on experiences (this was kind of asked individually based on each of our clinical experience)

-use one word to describe yourself

-at the end, we were allowed to say anything extra we wanted them to know about ourselves or elaborate on an answer we felt wasn't as strong after thinking about it (she wanted us to be able to leave knowing that there was nothing left unsaid or unclear)

-then given chance to ask questions

-definitely asked 1 or 2 other questions, but they're slipping my mind

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you! Especially anything that I spoke with current PA students about

-Alyssa

Hi Michael,

I was super nervous going into the interview but honestly it was such an amazing experience! I went alone since I live locally and I wanted to be able to mingle with staff and students. I was nervous because I thought I was going to have to mingle with staff a lot more than expected,however, when I first arrived I just sat with other applicants. I found that most of the applicants were either currently in college, had graduated or were making career changes and were a bit older. There was only 1 group of high schoolers interviewing I believe. After getting my name tag, which kept falling off, I talked with other interviewees and a current student in his didactic year. He asked a lot of questions and it was nice to be able to pick his brain about the difficulty of the program because of course the faculty is going to say it's super difficult and time consuming, etc. Then all the interviewees, around 40, were directed into a large room where the faculty spoke about the program and introduced themselves. We were then handed a 10 question "test," Melanie previously mentioned what types of questions were on there but I can restate from my memory, which isn't very good because the morning was such a blur looking back! Anyways, I had plenty of time to complete the questions and then we were broken up into our interview groups. I was interviewing with 2 other guys who were both undergraduates, one at dyouville and one at st. Bonaventure. Our interview group didn't go into the interview room until 11:25 I'd say so I got to know the guys I was interviewing with pretty well. There were also current PA students in the room who helped calm nerves by giving us tips and telling us what they were asked and giving us info on the faculty interviewers. The time to get to know those students as well as the guys I was interviewing with really calmed my nerves. We all had different experiences and were at different points in our lives so it was pretty cool how unique each of us were. After what seemed like forever, we were directed into the room. That day was really snowy so there were only 2 interviewers in the room because one couldn't make it, Laura Grable and John T.(I can't remember how to spell his last name...its really long) who is a PA in Rochester and a graduate of the program. Knowing there were only 2 people instead of 3 also helped calm my nerves. We were offered water, which all 3 of us took and that helped to keep my throat clear while speaking. I sat in the middle and the guys always answered first, but I didn't find that any of us had super overlapping answers to the point where we had to say I agree with blank and then add a little. I was always able to come up with an answer that wasn't the same as theirs. I don't remember all the questions but I will do my best to list what I do remember below. It took around 20 minutes and then we were free to leave. I don't think they were giving tours that day unless someone wanted one really bad because it was snowy and very windy out. They did tell us that we would find out within 10 days. However, today marks 10 days and still nothing. I contacted the admissions counselor who helped with my application materials and she said they haven't heard anything yet from the PA Dept. I'm hoping to hear VERY soon:) I was WAYYYY over prepared, but honestly they just want to get to know you and hear about your experiences and why you want to become a PA.

Questions on "Test"

-why PA

-do you feel the 80 hours of patient contact dyouville requires was beneficial and why/why not

-role of a PA

-ethical question: you have been mrs. smiths PCP for several years and after a recent appt you get a call from the pharmacy saying that she already has a script for the pain medication you also wrote her a script for. What would you do in this situation. (something like that....not direct wording but close)

-2 other questions that I don't remember, but just know everything about PA profession cold, like Melanie said!

Interview Questions:

-why pa

-strengths

-asked to elaborate on experiences (this was kind of asked individually based on each of our clinical experience)

-at the end, we were allowed to say anything extra we wanted them to know about ourselves or elaborate on an answer we felt wasn't as strong after thinking about it (she wanted us to be able to leave knowing that there was nothing left unsaid or unclear)

If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you! Especially anything that I spoke with current PA students about

-Alyssa

Such a wonderful experience! I thank you so much for sharing it. Chatting with Melanie and you, I can imagine how friendly staff is and it makes me confident that I'm choosing right school as my first choice. From your own experience, how do you think you performed? How did other applicants perform? I'm getting excited just by thinking about all this process. I will definitely keep my fingers crossed for you.

Appreciate your response!

Thank you

-Michael 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Michael,

Questions on "Test"

-why PA

-role of a PA

Interview Questions:

-why pa

-strengths

-Alyssa

For those being interviewed this upcoming Saturday, Jan 10th I just wanted to wish good luck! You'll be fine!!

Just some important last minute tips that worked for me:

1.Bring a friend if you can, it helps keep you calm before officially walking into the room... I brought my boyfriend actually but before signing in I had him go home because I wanted to focus better and spend more time meeting my possible fellow peers. However, it's your choice if you want your friend to come in with you! There's no judgement if you do or don't from what I saw.

2.Breathe, and relax. They know you're nervous, so it's okay to seem so but do your best to appear calm and confident! 

3.Have something to eat or drink while mingling, the food is there for you, and it helps calm a nervous stomach.. You don't want your stomach grumbling when being interviewed!

4. Bathroom break. Make sure you use the restroom prior to the interview or prior to walking in.

5.Be yourself! and never try to bring down the person sitting next to you in the interview. PAs work together, they want to see that you can interact with other people and be a team player... so be nice!

Again, Good luck to everyone, even if I've helped a single person- that's amazing in it's own.

Melanie

Hi Alyssa & Melanie,

I had to create an account so I could get in touch with the both of you.  I discovered this DYC forum last week and really wished that I discovered it months ago.  First of all, my name is Phil and I am from NYC.  I applied to DYC for this Fall 2015 start as a transfer student with a Bachelors degree from Rutgers University. I ended up getting an invitation to interview and I came for the interview on 12/6/14 due to the snow storm that dumped 7ft of snow in the nearby area. The interview process went very well for me.  I interviewed with another male and a female and we were all transfer students with degrees.  The interview was a bit competitive but I felt that everyone did really well. I left that day very excited about what the program had to offer but I really had mixed feelings on if I was going to be accepted or not.  On Dec 19th, I received an email from the president stating that I was accepted to DYC.  A few days later I received a letter from the college stating the same thing and it mentioned that in a few weeks I would receive a formal acceptance packet with the next steps.  I still have yet to receive this packet but I called the admissions office and they stated that they will be sending them out at the end of the month (mentioned that they got a little delayed).  So overall, I wanted to know if either of you got accepted--would be nice to start getting to know some of my future classmates.  Look forward to hearing from you both or anyone who as been accepted.

-Phil

Hi Alyssa & Melanie,

I had to create an account so I could get in touch with the both of you.  I discovered this DYC forum last week and really wished that I discovered it months ago.  First of all, my name is Phil and I am from NYC.  I applied to DYC for this Fall 2015 start as a transfer student with a Bachelors degree from Rutgers University. I ended up getting an invitation to interview and I came for the interview on 12/6/14 due to the snow storm that dumped 7ft of snow in the nearby area. The interview process went very well for me.  I interviewed with another male and a female and we were all transfer students with degrees.  The interview was a bit competitive but I felt that everyone did really well. I left that day very excited about what the program had to offer but I really had mixed feelings on if I was going to be accepted or not.  On Dec 19th, I received an email from the president stating that I was accepted to DYC.  A few days later I received a letter from the college stating the same thing and it mentioned that in a few weeks I would receive a formal acceptance packet with the next steps.  I still have yet to receive this packet but I called the admissions office and they stated that they will be sending them out at the end of the month (mentioned that they got a little delayed).  So overall, I wanted to know if either of you got accepted--would be nice to start getting to know some of my future classmates.  Look forward to hearing from you both or anyone who as been accepted.

-Phil

Hi Phil!

I was accepted, and let me begin by first saying CONGRATULATIONS to you!! :) I actually interviewed the same day as you (12/6/14)! Same situation happened with me, I received the email from Sister Denise (the president) the weekend before Christmas, and on that Monday I was mailed a letter detailing that I should receive a formal acceptance packet in a few weeks. I too have yet to receive this packet and I actually contacted admissions again February 2nd, and was told that they're still delayed and that they should be sent out sometime within the next few weeks. I was told to have $150 ready for a deposit too. Since I'm currently a student at DYC, I was able to just take a few minutes and speak with the PA dept faculty about it during a break between classes, and they mentioned that with the weather that buffalo has been through lately and also with the January interviewees getting accepted/rejected there's been a lot of paperwork that is behind but to not worry, that my seat is not going to be taken and that the packet should arrive within this month.

And I also look forward to getting to know you and other future classmates! 

Melanie

Hi Phil!

I was accepted, and let me begin by first saying CONGRATULATIONS to you!! :) I actually interviewed the same day as you (12/6/14)! Same situation happened with me, I received the email from Sister Denise (the president) the weekend before Christmas, and on that Monday I was mailed a letter detailing that I should receive a formal acceptance packet in a few weeks. I too have yet to receive this packet and I actually contacted admissions again February 2nd, and was told that they're still delayed and that they should be sent out sometime within the next few weeks. I was told to have $150 ready for a deposit too. Since I'm currently a student at DYC, I was able to just take a few minutes and speak with the PA dept faculty about it during a break between classes, and they mentioned that with the weather that buffalo has been through lately and also with the January interviewees getting accepted/rejected there's been a lot of paperwork that is behind but to not worry, that my seat is not going to be taken and that the packet should arrive within this month.

And I also look forward to getting to know you and other future classmates! 

Melanie

Melanie,

That is great to hear and CONGRATULATIONS on your acceptance as well. I love how we had the same interview day and ended up having the same experience with the acceptance and all.  Who ended up interviewing you?   I had Laura, Elizabeth, and a previous male PA student. I see that you are a current DYC student, what year are you in (I am a 2013 graduate from Rutgers) and I am guessing you are local to the area?  My next step after accepting admission is figuring out housing and all (since I live in NYC)--do you have any information regarding that?  I was debating on maybe getting an apartment near UB or something.  Again, congrats on your acceptance and I look forward to getting to know you as well!

-Phil

Melanie,

That is great to hear and CONGRATULATIONS on your acceptance as well. I love how we had the same interview day and ended up having the same experience with the acceptance and all.  Who ended up interviewing you?   I had Laura, Elizabeth, and a previous male PA student. I see that you are a current DYC student, what year are you in (I am a 2013 graduate from Rutgers) and I am guessing you are local to the area?  My next step after accepting admission is figuring out housing and all (since I live in NYC)--do you have any information regarding that?  I was debating on maybe getting an apartment near UB or something.  Again, congrats on your acceptance and I look forward to getting to know you as well!

-Phil

Thank you! And yes right?! I was actually interviewed by the same three people as you! And yes I'm a current DYC student, I'm in my sophomore year in biology. I am also local to D'Youville (~5 minute drive). Pertaining to your question about housing, my best bet would be either 1. dorm or 2. find an apartment closer to D'Youville.. I mean it also depends on which UB campus you're referring to- but if you're referring to north campus in Amherst, I would tell you to consider the commute seriously, while it's about ~15/20 minute drive (and an easy breezy commute in the summer and fall), you have to consider that in Buffalo the weather gets hectic during the Winter months (usually starting Nov and ending in late March-ish) and it's usually cause for many delays (only during winter storms.. which this year have been far too often!!). The professors at DYC are very understanding of that, but if you're like me I hate the idea of even being a minute late haha! Just something to consider! Also, there are always apartment listings hanging around campus.

Hope this helps, but you should really do what would be best for you. I love Amherst, it's a beautiful place to live, but I like only being minutes away from campus!

Melanie

Melanie,

-Phil

Ha, funny enough! I just walked my dog and found out that the admissions packet came in today!!! I was placed in the sophomore class with expected graduation of Fall 2018!

Melanie

• 2 months later...

Hey there Melanie, sorry about not getting back to you. I ended up getting my packet pretty late but was placed in the Freshman class due to the fact that there was no room in the Sophomore one... I am debating on accepting admission or not but the first year I will not have to take a single class because everything transferred so I will basically not be starting until Fall 2016 if I accept.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there Melanie, sorry about not getting back to you. I ended up getting my packet pretty late but was placed in the Freshman class due to the fact that there was no room in the Sophomore one... I am debating on accepting admission or not but the first year I will not have to take a single class because everything transferred so I will basically not be starting until Fall 2016 if I accept.

No worries! And it is a great thing to have all your credits transfer over! Maybe consider a minor, or just take the time off and work full time to save up and pay for dyc's high tuition lol. Either way keep us posted with your decision, whether you accept or decline!

No worries! And it is a great thing to have all your credits transfer over! Maybe consider a minor, or just take the time off and work full time to save up and pay for dyc's high tuition lol. Either way keep us posted with your decision, whether you accept or decline!

Just wanted to let you know that I will be accepting the admission today. They ended up accepting all of my classes and I will most likely be moving either on campus or off campus in the summer of 2016 or Fall 2016!!! Any type of FB group started or anything?

Archived