Cold weather interviews

This is probably a silly question, but I've never needed to dress professionally in cold weather before.

So, assuming I'll have to walk a bit from my car to get to the interview building:

Do you just wear a winter jacket over your suit? If so what do you do with it during the interview? Seems bulky to carry around all day.

For women, what do you do so your feet don't freeze? I have nice shoes that wouldn't look right with a pair of warm socks on underneath.

Any advice much appreciated!

Guest MedLib42

For my Boston interview, which I believe was in January, I walked to and from my hotel to the interview, which I believe was a little more than a quarter mile (parking was really difficult). Anyway, I had a professional looking long black coat (trenchcoat length - down past my knees) and didn't wear open toe shoes. Although, all I had on under my shoes were thin dress socks, and I also didn't wear a scarf or hat for fear of wrinkling my collar / messing up my hair, so yeah, I was a little cold!! But I honestly think what with all the adrenaline in my system that day, I probably was a little less sensitive to the cold than usual. I don't remember what we did with coats and things during the interview though - I think a lot of students just carried their jackets and things on the tour, and put them over their chairs during their one-on-ones. I do remember one school giving us a specific spot for outerwear though, so I'm sure most schools will, especially during cold weather.

Archived