grades reported to caspa

Hello everyone!

I have been following this forum for awhile and plan on applying to PA school next year. I have a question about reporting grades to caspa. When I was 18, I attended the first semester of college for about 2-3 weeks, but had to withdraw from all classes due to a two week hospital stay from ulcerative colitis. I also decided to leave the school and attend somewhere closer to home. I started at my current college in that January and have been here the past four years and have done very well.

My question is when I apply do I include the withdraws from my first school even though it is basically like I never attended there? I have no other credits at that school. If i do have to report those classes, should I include my reason for leaving in my personal statement? Will this be a negative to admissions since my disease has interfered with my schooling before? Even though I now have a working treatment plan and have been healthy the past four years.

Also, if I have to report the withdraws (I think it was four or five classes) would that lower my gpa? And by how much? 

Thank you for any help and sorry this is so long!

You're required to report ALL grades to CASPA regardless of withdraws, fails, incompletes, etc. That said, if it never showed up on your transcript then there are no record to show that you actually took the class. Be very cautious though because you run the risk of deceiving the system if you have a W on your official transcript but failed to report it. 

Safest way is to contact CASPA directly and ask them what they think.

Ws are not suppose to count towards your GPA. WFs is not the same as Ws. WFs (withdraw with failure) does count towards your GPA the same way an F does.

I'm pretty sure they aren't on my current college's transcript because I had to apply as a new incoming freshman, rather than as a transfer student. However, I'm sure I am on record somewhere for attending the first school. I was thinking I would have to report it, but wasn't sure.

Thanks so much! 

It doesn't matter if you attended, if there's nothing on your transcript.  Contact your school directly.  If there are Ws from that first semester, then yes, you have to report it.  If not, then it's a wash.  CASPA only looks at transcripts.  If there are Ws, it will not effect your GPA, however schools will see it so you'd probably want to find a place to mention it in your essay.   

It doesn't matter if you attended, if there's nothing on your transcript.  Contact your school directly.  If there are Ws from that first semester, then yes, you have to report it.  If not, then it's a wash.  CASPA only looks at transcripts.  If there are Ws, it will not effect your GPA, however schools will see it so you'd probably want to find a place to mention it in your essay.   

The W's are on the transcript from the school I received them at, but they are not on my current school's transcript. I will just plan on reporting and explaining them.

Thank You! 

Archived