Alternates 2010-2011

I figured it might be helpful for us alternates to have our own thread... so we can keep track of how many, who got in, etc... and share any info we know about the process... I'm sure we are all feeling about the same right now, and it might be good to have each other to bounce ideas or feelings off of!!!! :=-0:

I just spoke to Jeanne and she said that there were (approx) 35 alternates last year, and 5 got in... She could not give me any info on how many alternates were chosen this year, or how they choose the alternates when an accepted declines. She said it is (most likely) ranked... but was not clear. I also emailed Karen Hutton, however, she is out in a conference until Tuesday. So I guess we have to be patient, and hope we are at the "top" of the list!!!!

Unfortunately, I didn't call them to F/U and now I regret it more than anything. My ego was bruised and I was so hard on myself that I couldn't bare the thought of hearing why I wasn't good enough. I am def. going to this time around. I am on the alternate list at another school in Maine and I still waiting to hear back from 3 other schools. I think I know why I didn't get in last year and I was able to improve my application in that area, but I absolutely plan to call this time around.

It is tough to hear why you're not good enough, but it's better than wasting another year NOT getting in. It's good to get a third party perspective as to why you didn't get in, especially if that third party is a party you are trying to impress. We just have to bite the bullet, and hear that "constructive criticism". I know no one wants that drama so hopefully we just get called off of the alternate and skip that mess. =)

Thanks Dtho..I don't remember exact service hours but I've volunteered at the VA hospital under physical therapy dept and geopsychiatry dept, helped write a research paper (don't know if it got published after I left?), volunteer internship at Palomar/Pomerado hospital as CCE (~100 hrs in medsurg, ICU, IMC), worked in a gynecologist office prepping patients and charts, working as a clinical research coordinator with HIV, AIDS patients (3 years), retook general chem lecture and lab which prob brought my GPA up to 3.5-3.6 once Western recalculates it? and some other random stuff in undergrad such as Relay for Life, Fundraising Aunctions, Beach clean ups, etc..Don't know if that was very helpful but goodluck to you and try not to think too much into it!

Archived