Do Hospitals Care Whether PAs Have Bachelor's Degrees or Master's Degrees?

Hi everyone.  I have a really poor cumulative GPA, but a pretty good science GPA.  I know I have no chance in hell of getting into a PA masters program given that my cumulative GPA is below a 2.5/4.0 so I'm thinking about getting another bachelor's degree.  There are some pretty good undergraduate Physician Assistant programs in the Northeast.  I'm just worried that some hospitals will reject me for jobs because I'll only have a bachelor's degree as opposed to most PAs who have master's degrees.  My cousin (who's a PA) told me that some hospitals prefer people with graduate degrees.  Do you guys think that's true?  Thanks in advance. 

Sorry, just going to spread some truth and save you some pain. Bachelor or Masters program, it would be extremely difficult if not impossible to get in with a cumulative GPA of 2.5. With most programs, there is an early weedout process with apps and usually GPA is one of them (for example, 2.8 GPA and under gets tossed out). Is there any way you can take some classes over? How about a post-bacc program? Again, not trying to be the downer here, just telling you what you're in for.

Guest MedLib42

In some areas, yes, it matters. In others, not so much, so it depends on where you are looking to work after graduation. And it is my understanding that the ARC-PA has required that all PA programs shift to graduate degrees only (doing away with Bachelors and Associate degree programs) by 2020. I don't know how or if this will affect those already practicing with Bachelors or Associate degrees, but it's something to consider.

Also, this thread might help you out too: http://www.physicianassistantforum.com/index.php?/topic/10534-masters-or-bachelors/?hl=%2Bbachelors+%2Bmasters#entry133133

As an east coast native (who pretty much considered most, if not all, of the east coast schools when applying), I think the only programs that you'd be eligible for with a 2.5 is CUNY Sophie Davis (Bachelor) in NYC and Miami Dade (Associates) in Florida (not exactly northeast though). Their minimum cumulative GPAs are 2.5. All the rest of the undergrad programs on the east coast - D'Youville, Daemen, Duquesne, Mercy, and Touro (don't know if they do a Bachelors anymore though), all require a 3.0 cumulative, so anything below that won't even be considered. 

Don't know if it's possible for you, but another two years (60 credits) of post-bacc coursework would probably get your GPA up to 3.0 or above - that might give you a lot more options with regard to schools you can apply to and where you can practice after graduation.

Archived