Career change, MLS to PA

So. Checked into Anatomy at UCF (graduated with BS in 09, closest public university) and I've missed the deadline for admission for Spring term. Assuming I am admitted next term, that means taking Anatomy won't be possible until Fall 2015. There is a new anatomy course that I believe involves a cadaver lab; I think this may be for medical students, I need to look into whether I can take it as a non-degree seeking student. I already took Phys I/II in undergrad, but skated with Genetics instead of taking Anatomy. Hindsight! Never thought I'd pursue medicine, tbh. First in my family to go to college, and didn't have the confidence or life experience to believe it was achievable.

Now I'm reconsidering an EMT cert. If I have to wait a year plus to take that pre req, why not log some patient care experience? EM seems like a good place to start, though I'd really like to get involved with a clinic that provides care for the indigent. A lot to look in to.

When you get there, be sure to join the prePA club at UCF. They are very active and will help with this process once you are a student. And don't worry about "skating" with genetics too much, it will look good as one of those "additional science courses" that adcoms like to see.

I like your motivation, I was in the same boat, but with more prerequisites to do. Is there a med term or some other nice to have, but not required everywhere class you can sneak into at the local CC this or the next term? That's how I started because I was too late to enroll for classes at the local university. I'm sure you've done it already, but look at the prerequisites for each of the programs you want to apply to. There might be some random classes that you can fit in now.

All the best and let me know if you have any questions about UF.

Yeah that was my next on my list, check on med term at Daytona State, and get the app for EMS in. I didn't know they had an prePA club at UCF, thanks!

I would love to have a chance at UF but I don't think it's feasible with a little one, a mortgage, and hubs' career centered in Volusia County. We'll have to see how things go goal-wise when the time comes to apply. It is nice to be motivated, I've been kind of meh about the job and what potential there existed to move up. I'm keeping an eye on other prePA threads and current students, it's definitely nice to have the forum to tips and encouragement!

Haha I'm trying to figure out if that's a positive tidbit or a negative! I know Orlando is very competitive for most medical rotations; it's going to be tough just to get in a PA program locally. There is now the new medical school in the mix and I believe Adventist Health is beginning their PA program soon, if not on their way to accredidation already. I keep digesting the pick two: locale, specialty, and pay mantra, before I've even gotten started! My husband is very supportive but we haven't even begun to hash out the possibilities. Keep those tidbits coming though, I appreciate them so I can go on with eyes wide open...

• 2 months later...

Another MLS to PA here. Make sure you have the right pre reqs and choose your schools wisely. I had about a year of Phleb experience as my hands on care and the rest was lab time. No PA shadowing or references but great grades and GRE and I got plenty of interviews and enough acceptances. Play to your strengths....a lot of programs like having us.

One of my classmates at Duke was an MLS and I was always really jealous of her comfort with lab values and their meaning/use.  It is a little less hands on than many jobs but I personally think it can give you the leg up one needs to succeed in PA school from what I have seen.   Something like phlebotomy is a MAJOR step down. CNA or EMT is the way to go to add a bit of hands on.

A school that puts shadowing above hands on experience AND would not accept MLS is not a school I would ever want to go to unless they are running one of those 3 year deals (which I also never would go to).  You should go to one of the schools mentioned in this thread that takes MLS.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the replies. I need to focus, I've been a bit in the weeds with my job (and my life) lately and it's caused quite a bit of fatigue. It's time to reevaluate some things.

I need to find more opportunities to shadow, for myself as well as for applications. Some days the profession I chose doesn't seem to offer much emotionally, so I need to be sure this is the career for me.

Archived