FM + UC New Grad offer

Hi all,

There's been some great advice on this forum for new grads getting job offers and hope you could do the same for me.

I have a definite offer for a position at a family medicine w/ urgent care office that pays hourly wages ($45/hr to start with productivity-based increases). Benefits are minimal - 2 weeks vacation & holidays, retirement plan with no matching, on my own for insurance coverage and professional fees. The schedule is flexible, and the office seems to have a good atmosphere that I think would be fast-paced but supportive of a new grad. I would love the urgent care component of it too. If I work average of 40 hr weeks at the starting rate I'd make 86k/yr minus insurance costs and other fees. 

Is this a fair offer? I'm not sure what is standard for hourly wage-type positions. I am waiting to hear back from another family med place I interviewed that offers a salary of $80,000 with great benefits packages (i.e. health insurance & malpractice covered, 4 weeks vacation, fees covered) since it is hospital-owned practice. It also seems like a great place to start out with good training, though they lack the urgent care component. I'm afraid if I wait too long for the other position to finish interviewing other candidates and make a decision I'll lose the first one. 

Thanks for your wisdom and critical eyes in advance!

• 3 weeks later...

I agree the combo would be ideal but someday with more experience under my belt I'll be in a better position to get there. I took the FM/UC position and they are now paying $48/hr and covering malpractice, DEA, and license fees, with 2 weeks vacation, 1 week sick, and paid holidays. Still covering my own health insurance but overall the package looks a lot better than it did initially and I'm super excited to start. Just have to wait on credentialling... Thanks for your input EMEDPA and PA-larb!

Archived