Should I retake the GRE??

Hey all,

I took the GREs a couple years ago and got a 148 Q 152 V and 3.0 Writing.  Two of the schools I am applying to have September 1st deadlines so I won't have time to retake them.  Should I just not apply to these schools and retake the GRE, or use these scores and hope they don't hurt my chances?

Thanks for your input! 

I would apply and see what happens. I took mine almost 5 years ago twice and didn't get great scores, studied again and took some practice quizzes recently and didn't do any better so I didn't retake.  The rest of my application is so strong that the test scores are almost meaningless if you ask me. If they don't have much else to go by though it could hurt you.  It sucks though the test is such a waste of money.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MedLib42

Most schools want to see scores at or above the 50th percentile across the board (so make sure you know what the minimum is for the schools you're applying to, if there is one). 

On your old test, your verbal is around 53% (good), quantitative 32% (not so good) and writing 15%. On the newer one, your verbal is 36%, your quantitative is 44%, and your writing is 56%. I would choose the test where the majority of your scores are as close to 50% as possible (I'm thinking the newer test is probably best).

But, you might get some good feedback on this if you contact the schools you're applying to and ask how much weight they give the GRE, what the average scores of accepted applicants are (often you can find this online too), whether they give more weight to a certain section of the GRE (writing, verbal, quant, etc) and what their minimum score requirements are. That might help you make a decision as well. 

Archived