Did I just end my chances for PA school?

I see nothing wrong in deciding to abstain. It's a path. You say you didn't drink much before, you had an issue this one time, and you've decided to avoid future incidences. Kind of like George W. Bush, I guess.

Some folks wonder if you're being honest about the scope of your problem, since none of actually know you. If the problem is deeper, then getting help -- AA, etc -- is a good plan. 

If I can accept everything here at face value, then saying you don't drink anymore because of this one incident does not make you sound like a time bomb to me -- just a mature, individual decision to avoid a repeat of the event.

Good luck!

You need to ask your lawyer if you are required to check "yes" to a question asking if you have been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony. Being that your state may not be prosecuting this as a crime (but rather as civil forfeiture) you might just get lucky and be legally allowed to check "no" when asked this question.

Also, look into OWI expungement. A quick google search revealed a variety of results, including: http://www.owi-dui.com/Wisconsin/Laws/ExpungementsOWI.html

I never responded to this question earlier, but I absolutely do not need to mark this down as a misdemeanor or felony (according to my attorney.) However it will show up on a complete background check under traffic offenses. I would also mention WI law no longer allows expungement of this type of offense. (not for 55 years.)

• 7 months later...

Interesting discussion taking place and lots of opinions. I created an anonymous profile to share a little experience and not "out myself". I'd share my professional background but it could potentially identify me.  And, I'm sure that dennisred has already moved on with his decisions. I will say that if i were an adcom and saw that someone got a OWI within the last year or was told about it, that would be a huge redflag. I'm sorry to say, but the truly "normal" drinker doesn't get in a car and drive, much less even get fully intoxicated unless maybe at a wedding or holiday sans college knucklehead decisions. It does happen but my experience professionally and personally tells me that there is always more to the story if someone is now out of college and planning to become a medical professional, even a 22 year old, and "got caught" with alcohol in his/her system.

With that, I am licensed in a non-PA but health services field with multiple DUIs and possession charges. I've been accepted to multiple universities for graduate level health professions. I've written statements attesting to my long term recovery. So far, I have never been denied and even worked in environments handling controlled substances. I can't speak for PA licensing but I've worked with Impaired Physicians programs as well as med students getting caught diverting, stealing, DUIs, possessions,etc. Heck, I even had an anesthesiologist that created a rig to inject himself during surgeries. None have gotten in trouble if they enter a monitoring program and followed through 100%. In the state I live, it is a 5 year minimum. If while intoxicated and you are working with a patient, that creates a whole other mountain to climb but still workable. Recovering people are covered under the ADA yet it must be duly noted that an individual must have developed a full blown addiction and life impairment based on DSM criteria. I am really uncertain if I would ever disclose my substance abuse history even though my life experiences, professional background, and academic history clearly points to this. The medical world ironically is still very judgmental towards addictions and I'm not in the mood to be a martyr. The profession is getting better-especially with the parity act- but I've nearly knocked out professionals for some of the things they've said. I am a person in long term recovery!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Rev, but there is a danger applying statistics to a sample set of one.

Bingo.  OP, the best thing you can do is start calling around and asking this question to the people who hold the gates to matriculation, licensing, and employment.  No one here can do anything more than either encourage you to change or be a downer and feed you some line indicating they think they know how the process works.  Bottom line is, the only people who know how to work through this are the people who have this experience.  Whenever people ask questions about "will are my chances at x school if I have y caveat?"  I always answer the same: call the schoool.  This is what you need to do.  Talk to the people who make the decisions.

I wouldn't say you ended your chance, but your chances have DIPPED drastically.  I would consider all  healthcare options now, if I were in ur sitation- like look into AA, PT, OT and DO. I still think if you do well in all phases from now on, you will get in somewhere. However, it seems like DO's are more forgiving (compare to MD's and even PA's) for whatever reason

Archived