When should I apply?!

Currently, I think I have pretty strong statistics with the exclusion of one thing, direct patient care. After a 6 month search for a part time job to perform while going to school full time, I had no luck. However, a volunteer opportunity was created for me working alongside PAs day in and day out. Additionally, I have been offered a job after I graduate. In May, I will begin working full time as a phlebotomist. I am hoping to accumulate hours before applying. This is where I am having the problem. CASPA opens in April, the 13th I believe. Some people have told me apply ASAP, especially if they are running applications because there is a much better chance to get an interview. Others are telling me to wait. They say that even if someone submits in April, they are not viewed until later in May, so I can accumulate some more direct patient care. HELP!!!! Please. Thanks in advance, you guys are awesome.

I wouldnt apply any later than May or June especially to schools with rolling admissions. If you wait until you at least start the job then you can list it on you application. Most places that I interviewed askked about adidtional hce hours on the application and/or asked about what the hours we had accumulated to that point. To save money I wouldnt apply to programs that require hce or ones that highly recommend it because having none may get your application tossed. In all honesty I would probably wait for the next cycle so that way Im not limiting myself on what schools I can apply to. With 1yr FT experience you could apply to just about any program provided you have met the pre-reqs in courses and GRE (if its required)....just because a school says hce is not required.....it does not mean that you are still viewed equally as someone with tons of it.

Thanks for all of the advice. You are all very helpful.

Marilyn, I honestly have no desire to go to Med school. I am married and I want children to be in my near future, med school makes that extremely difficult. The opportunities and ability to move between specialties are almost unparalleled to that of a PA. I have done countless numbers of shadowing and I know that I want to be a PA. Med school isn't for everything, myself included.

Archived