Opinions on if I have a chance?

Hello fellow Pre-PA's!

I was just hoping to get some opinions from people on my chances of getting into PA School this cycle.

I graduated from Cleveland State University with a cumulative GPA of 3.67 with a solid upward trend. My electives were also challenging. My combined GRE was a 310 (157 Verbal 153 Quant).

My recommendations are solid but I feel like my HCE is subpar given my age, 22. I've only been able to accumulate 1200 hours between being an STNA in a med surg unit and a rehab to home unit in a nursing home.

I've shadowed PA's for roughly 60 hours and shadowed an MD for 40 more.

My community service isn't spectacular but I hope this doesn't hold me back either.

I don't know what else I can really do at this point but to hope this is enough. I may have to choose an alternative career or just keep trying if I don't get accepted.

I will be applying to a handful of schools this cycle and any opinions or advice is appreciated.

I stand corrected.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk

Be careful, though, not to misinterpret the chart data. According to PAEA (who assembled the report), the data refer to matriculants, not applicants. Accepted students typically work for an additional year between submitting their application and matriculation (depending on the program start date.) Also the median is probably more useful than the mean for assessing whether or not you have enough HCE. The mean (or average) is skewed by older matriculants with many years of experience. The median number means half the matriculants have more hours and half have fewer hours. Additionally, the "other work experience" category is not health care related. It may not be inaccurate to say the average applicant has 1,000-2,000 hours HCE.

Another consideration is that the data don't really tell us how much HCE is necessary to get accepted into PA schools. Some programs require little or none; others require a lot. Schools typically publish minimums, if they have one. They may also publish stats for matriculating students which is an indication of what they may be looking for. If there is a HCE minimum, it stands to reason that more is probably better.

It is worth noting that many fist time applicants don't get accepted for reasons that may be unrelated to HCE (GPA, GREs, etc.).I suspect that many of those who reapply continue to accumulate HCE hours while they improve the parts of their application that they feel are weak. The additional HCE may be superfluous to their eventual successful application on a second or, even, third round but it becomes part of the data.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Archived