Volunteering?

I'm an upcoming college junior looking to apply to PA school either this coming spring or next year.  I have a decent amount of healthcare experience, as well as some biological research experience in the pharmaceuticals and ecology (which led me to realize I wanted to be in healthcare). What I don't have that much of are volunteer hours. I am involved in one organization in school, but that only meets a few times a month and I wouldn't really consider it volunteering. How significant is volunteer experience for PA school applications? 

• Volunteer work you have done OUTSIDE of the health field
  • You are working in the health or a health-related field but are NOT directly responsible for a patient’s care; for example, filling prescriptions, performing clerical work, delivering patient food, cleaning patient rooms, working as a “Candy Striper” or hospital volunteer, etc.

Source: Portal - CASPA

Guest MedLib42

In general, volunteering always can strengthen your app, and the competition is fierce, so I recommend doing whatever you can to help make yourself stand out. Unique volunteer experiences can help you do that (underserved medical clinics, medical mission trips, and even non-medical volunteer work). On a personal level, it can also be really fun and rewarding. However, I'd recommend contacting the schools you're applying to.

I got immediately rejected from one school (no interview invite or anything), and the reason stated in the letter was that I didn't have enough volunteer hours (even though at the time, I don't believe it was stated anywhere that volunteering was a requirement for admission). I think I've seen volunteering listed as a requirement for some schools now, though, while other schools really don't seem to care as much. So it depends. Check with the individual schools. If you're not sure yet where you'll be applying, then I'd say definitely go ahead and get more volunteer experience. It can only help your application. 

I do believe that my volunteering in an underserved medical clinic was key to my acceptance into PA school.

It definitely does make you stand out from the rest and I can say that personally it was very rewarding.  I learned so much and I was able to see a world that I lived next to, but didn't know existed.

Go out of your way to find a place where you can help, there is always a need. 

Archived