Class of 2017 Applicants

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to all that have been accepted and best of luck to all that have interviews or are awaiting to get the interview call (and everyone inbetween!) 

I am a first year PA student in the class of 2016, and also on SGA. :) I just wanted to pop my head in and say hello and answer some questions that I am sure many of you have. 

I applied twice. First time, my CASPA didn't go thru until December and I was still offered an interview in February. This being said, I was interviewing for a wait-list spot ONLY as the class had already been filled. I did eventually make the wait list spot (I think they are called accept-hold list) and was calling Judy often. She is great and feel free to keep in touch with her! She will tell you what the process is and what you can do to do better if you don't get in the first year. 

For the accept-hold list, they finish all interviews and then RANK those on the accept-hold list. As people are being accepted elsewhere and decline their seats, they start calling people from the accept-hold list. I was told that in the year previous someone didn't show up to orientation and they called someone locally to see if they were still interested in coming down for the start of classes the next day. So, never count yourself out! :)

I applied 2 weeks after CASPA opened last year and b/c my GPA was around a 3.5 (they call 3.75+ first), did not receive an interview until October. I interviewed on Tuesday and received my acceptance call that Friday!

As for the school, AMAZING. The staff are fantastic and students, no matter how high the stress level, we all know how to laugh it off and help each other if one of us is struggling. With 75 students per class, it is easy to find your niche and make friends. :) Cadaver lab was super awesome (but thanks to watching walking dead, they made me freak out a bit... :P) The staff is really here to help the students. We all have advisors (6-7 per advisor) and are there to help us if we need it. We also have study skills sessions available to us - that is, if you are struggling in figuring out how you study, or how to study better, Professor Mesa-Taylor will sit with you one-on-one and help the students figure out a plan and even quiz you on your school material if you send her your ppts! I also live 30 mins away and don't mind the drive as it allows me to clear my head and separate school and home life.

Best of luck to you all! Hope this helps! :)

~Aleia

Thank you very much for your insight Aleia. I interviewed October 13th and hopefully (fingers crossed) will be hearing back this week. I currently live in Arizona but a lot my wife's family live in Ft. Lauderdale. With our little boy due in just a couple weeks it would be so nice to be somewhere that we had a support system as well as a top tier school. Good luck to everyone on getting in and congrats to those that already have. =)

-Chris

Im so nervous on my upcoming interview!! any tips? I know we cannot be discussing specific interview questions, but did you guys feel you were adequately prepared with the typical interview questions,  were there any curveballs, how many interviewers, how long does the interview run? any tips would be greatly appreciated to calm my nerves!! :) Congrats to all that have been accepted! Does anyone know how many seats are left?

As for tips for interviewing, the school and faculty are so nice and welcoming that nerves really won't be an issue. I was super nervous but really once the interview begins they are so warm and nice that you feel like you are just sitting and discussing things about yourself to friends. Good luck to you at your interview; and to everyone who is still interviewing or waiting for that amazing phone call.

Congrats to those that have been accepted! If you look through the posts on the previous page, one of the people on the forum has been so kind as to post the link for the Facebook group. It will take you to the Facebook group and you will click join group and shortly after you will receive an invite accepting you to the page. =)

Hey everyone! I'm really new to the application cycle and anxious about it so I'd appreciate any responses. After submitting your supplemental, about how long did it take them to get to your application? Did they notify you when they began to review your application? Any info is appreciated, the waiting game is so excruciating. Thanks! :)

Archived