Use Old PS or Re-write it?

I applied this cycle (2010-2011) to only one school and received an interview, but did not get in because of age and lack of experience/health care exposure. It didn't help that it was first and only PA school interview, so I was super nervous and didn't convey my confidence and level of preparation as well as I could and should have. Anyways, since I've applied, I've gained hundreds of hours of shadowing in primary care and orthopedic surgery, hospital volunteer work in PACU, and completed a CNA course. (I'm currently working two jobs as a science tutor and research assistant while finishing up my undergrad, so working in a health care setting is not feasible right now. I will be taking my CNA test soon, and I hope to get a job as a HUC/pt tech/CNA at the hospital I've been volunteering at for the past year once I graduate this May.)

My PS describes the path I've taken that led me to this field. In my PS, I mention my lack of experience and what I plan to do to overcome it (all of which I've accomplished since then). I plan to keep most of what's in my PS since I will be applying to several other schools that haven't read it, but I do plan on taking out the parts about my lack of experience and replace it with more about my motivation. Would any of you advise that I write about not getting in my first cycle and what I've learned from the experience? I'm thinking of putting a spin on my non-acceptance into how me reapplying reflects my determination and drive toward this profession and how that drive suggests that I can become a competent PA. I'm just not sure if I should stick that in since the narrative portion of CASPA prompts us to describe our motivation toward becoming a PA, not explain why we weren't accepted. Any advice or suggestions regarding my PS and/or interviewing in general?

Thanks!!

I would answer the CASPA ps the way that it was asked but I would rewrite it to show how your motivation for becoming a PA has put you into action to make it happen. Now if that school has a supplemental I would use that to show what you have done to become a better applicant; a few of my supplemental applications had a spot for reapplicants to do just that.

Archived