Did anyone here go to Arizona State University for undergrad?

@dannydude57 i mean pre-pa in general like are there many jobs around the area with direct patient care? how are the classes? are there many opportunities available such as internships/clinical experiences that will help u succeed in getting accepted to PA school? things like that. did you go to ASU?

Hmm, good question. I know there is a pre-PA club affiliated with ASU. I believe that is a good start. Although I never had joined the club, I have met a couple of members. They seem to have some resources as to local volunteer opportunities (in community health). In terms of direct patient care jobs... it depends on what kind of experience/education you are bringing to the table. For an overview though, there are more than 10 major hospitals in the greater Phoenix areas. The number of independent practice is astronomical. Only one major ambulance company that I know of. Conversely, there are quite a few allied health training programs. It may be harder to get a direct care job if you were say an EMT or RN. I have also met some people who have performed projects/internships with community health clinics. I didn't ask how they found those experience. 

I did go to ASU, but I think our experiences are different. PM me with specifics and I'll try to help you best I can. 

• 2 weeks later...

I went to ASU for undergrad, not for pre-pa or pre-med or anything even related to it but overall it's a great school and like everyone has said there are plenty of hospitals, clinics etc in the greater Tempe and Phoenix area. The Banner system of hospitals are always hiring, thats where I worked before PA school. 

Agreed with above posters. Former kinesiology major at ASU now graduating PA school in one month. Get involved in PA club there. Good networking and volunteer ops. I recently set up a rotation with one of the PA's that came and talked at one of the meetings for example. At still seems to like what asu has to offer and for a few yrs in a row every kin major that applied there seemed to get in. Best of luck.

• 3 months later...

I graduated from ASU Dec 2012 with a major in Dietetics and minor in psych. I primarily scribed in the ER for banner and CNA in a derm office, and recently just got into PA school. No real volunteer work, didn't join the PA club. I think they liked that I had a science major that wasn't bio.. and the psych minor helped me a lot with those random schools that wanted those particular classes

I went to ASU and wasn't in the club. I shadowed at the Mayo Clinic hospital and I interned at the CORE institute while at ASU. My major was biology and I'm currently interviewing at PA schools. As for HCE I was a PT tech while in school. 

I realize this discussion is geared towards Arizona State University, but I just graduated from the University of Arizona and I was vice president of the Pre-PA club there. I had an amazing experience and there are plenty of pre-PA students in Tucson. There are several institutions in Tucson at which you can shadow/volunteer, including University Medical Center (which has two hospitals and several outpatient offices), Tucson Medical Center, Northwest Medical Center, and others. Let me know if you have any questions! 

I realize this discussion is geared towards Arizona State University, but I just graduated from the University of Arizona and I was vice president of the Pre-PA club there. I had an amazing experience and there are plenty of pre-PA students in Tucson. There are several institutions in Tucson at which you can shadow/volunteer, including University Medical Center (which has two hospitals and several outpatient offices), Tucson Medical Center, Northwest Medical Center, and others. Let me know if you have any questions! 

I actually have a question for you as I currently live in Tucson. I have shadowing experience but I am lacking in the primary care area. I was wondering if you knew any primary care PA's in the Tucson area that are willing to offer shadowing experience. Thanks!

-Shaina

I graduated from ASU in 2013, I am currently in PA school in Oregon about to finish our second semester. My undergrad major was nutrition. I didn't participate in the Pre-PA club, but had a few friends who did and thought it was beneficial. I would suggest as others have, using the Banner Health system even if you just start as a volunteer and gets some connections in the hospital and maybe a leg up on shadowing or a HCE job. Also see if you can volunteer or find a passion for something and see where it takes you. Do well in school, find a major that helps you cover all the basic sciences, and enjoy the time you have cause when you start PA school its a tough but rewarding time! Feel free to PM if you have any questions!

Archived