Lobbyist PA

I have a few questions.

1.) How do I become the student representative for AAPA or state PA association when accepted? Is it put up to a class vote I'd assume? Also, as a student will I have the opportunity to go to the state capitol or U.S capitol to advocate on behalf of the field depending on which one you represent (AAPA vs. State one)? I did see PAC arms of the organizations. I've worked on multiple state and federal campaigns, so I'd see it as a good opportunity to get legislative experience as well while a student. 

2.) After graduation, as a PA, are there lobbying positions available with the associations/PACs? Which could possibly allow me to practice as a PA as well as push legislation? The reason why I ask is because I know a few state reps and again I think it would be a great opportunity to possibly create a bill that furthers our field considering most reps aren't too informed about the PA field. Considering the expansion of medicaid, it's perfect timing for PA's to gain a foothold in the legislative arena. 

Guest Paula

You can check out volunteer positions within AAPA and state org.  Join AAPA as a student and also join your state chapter as a student.  That is a good way to get involved and work your way up the chain. 

It is not only entirely possible, but state PA organizations are more than willing to have students come and help with legislative manners. I got deeply involved with my state PA organization as a PA student, and went to lobby multiple times with practicing PA's to our state legislature, and even did the AAPA lobbying to Congressmen. You don't necessarily have to be your official school representative to the state PA group- if you show up to state PA meetings and start talking to the right people and show initiative, they will take notice and start involving you. The class reps at my program had little to no interest in getting involved in legislative manners- in fact, my last year of PA school, the executive director of our state PA organization had asked all the state PA school reps about who would like to go to DC and lobby to Congress, and all declined- so I was offered the opportunity because I had worked a lot with the state PA group.

As far as being the official lobbyist for a PA organization, groups like these tend to hire lawyers and/or former state legislators to fulfill this position. If you have a good one who truly wants to fight for PA interests, they are worth their weight in gold- and you can learn a lot from them.

I highly encourage you to get involved as a student- so long as your grades and learning doesn't suffer

Archived