Newly released PA/NP salary report shows that PAs generally receive higher

Ok so, I am in the interviewing/jobhunt phase. I have looked at this and salary.com. According to salary.com, my area pays PA's a median of 105K/yr. I have been getting offers in the 40-45/hr which comes to 80K-90K ish. I suppose that those salaries are made up of experienced PA's and noobs. My question is, is this normal for New Grad pay to get 10-20K less than the median? I want to be sure that 1) I am not getting ripped off, and 2) I am not offending the employer if i ask too much.

Joelseff,

It's going to depend on specialty as well as local area. Obviously, the primary care PAs are at one end of the scale, the neurosurgery PAs at the other. My first year in 2008, I took a lower salary in order to get to work with a doc willing to teach internal medicine (made 75K that year). Through hard work and meeting productivity goals, I was able to ask for a 12K raise after year one. This years production I pulled in $525K in collections, which I plan to use to ask for even more at my annual review next month.

Hey Brad,

thanks for responding. I suppose salary is NOT everything and benefits aren't always monetary like your first job. My personal financial requirement isn't a whole lot actually since my wife and I live well below our means and more so with me getting a job. I just want to make sure though that they are fair offers. I also plan on asking for a bonus on billing etc. Thanks for your input! it is, like always, much appreciated.

I'll post the same response that I put up on Allnurses when someone asked about this:

Bottom line the data is probably bad. On the PA side they had a total of 1200 PAs which represents less than 1.5% of PAs. The AAPA census gets around 25% of all PAs in practice. The number are much different.

For PAs the average salary $93k. This isn't much different than the Advance data on NPs (which represents around 4% of NPs). Traditionally the difference has been attributed to the greater percentage of PAs who are male (see the comment in advance about the male female difference which also exists among PAs). The other difference is the percentage of PAs in surgical specialties which traditionally have paid better. The complaints about the data is that its probably a little low since specialty PAs are under represented.

http://www.aapa.org/images/stories/D...h_Graphics.pdf

The Data from AANP is probably better. It shows an average salary of 97k.

http://www.aanp.org/NR/rdonlyres/AC7...pensation2.pdf

This is probably a little high since NNPs are over represented in the survey.

Other problems are not knowing the denominator for some of the specialties. For example the numbers about primary or secondary education PAs is frankly ludicrous. In the AAPA data there are only 31 PAs (or .03%) doing this job. I can't imagine this is more than 1 or 2 people. Also there are a number of other problems with the data. It relies on self description as a PA or NP. This leads to the possibility of manipulation especially given the small numbers.

Bottom line the advance data is poorly done and has a number of problems. The AANP data is probably the best thats out there. The AAPA data is used by the department of labor as the definitive data on the PA profession. Its hard to directly compared AANP and AAPA data because they use a different way of measuring salary. The salaries for NPs are very close with PAs in surgical fields making more than average and NNP making more than average.

What I didn't see on the Advance report of salaries was the total compensation package....and wondering how benefits play into the numbers reported.

I've often directed new PAs to look at the big picture of employment compensation...with good benefits this can add additional 20% on to the salary. A 75k job offer with a good benefits package can add 10-15K onto the base salary. That 75k job can have monetary value of 85-90k.

Could it be related to the fact that more women work part time or PRN because of family? That usually covers a lot of the gap.

From what I read about the salary gap in MD salaries, woman certainly are engaging in more alternatives to the traditional full time employment. Considerations for family needs and job sharing are becoming more popular and accepted. However, even with these nontraditional employment contracts, women do receive less in salary when incomes were adjusted. I'm of the thought that when women are employed ,they should be compensated with equal salary as male counterparts...and certainly shouldn't have to lower their salaries for personal choices of how much time they work.

Of course,gender gaps in salary exist throughout the workforce and not just in medicine.

Archived