CNA or Phlebotomy technician Certification!!

Hello everyone, 

I am currently planning to do an certification course but cant decided if should go for CNA or Phlebotomy technician course so any advise on which of the two will be better to do will be helpful. I will be starting PA school from this august in Boston and since its expensive to stay in boston I am hoping to get one of the two certification and thus find a part time job while in school.. 

But cant decided which one is better to go with in terms of finding a job in boston area.. I believe since there are great hospitals and clinics around boston I should be able to find a job?? However not sure if the demand for CNA is more or Phlebotomy technician in terms of job offerings.. And the amount of patient health care exp it is about same depending on the hours of work you get in..

If you are already in a PA program than you want the one that pays better and is easier on you mentally/physically/emotionally.  It's phleb and its not even close.  I worked as a CNA two years and am now a RN.  As a phleb you will be paid even or higher than a cna, and usually only work 8 hr shifts vs typical 12 hr for a cna.  As a phleb you do your draws and leave, as a cna you are answering call lights, cleaning/bathing, VS, I/O, interacting with pt familys, nurses, etc.  Now, CNA get the real pt contact, but since you are already accepted that's a moot point.  I will say CNAs are ALWAYS needed but I suspect in a large city like Boston you'll be fine finding a job as a phleb.

well i dont get an option as need to cover my cost of living along with tuition in Boston which is really expensive, plus in order to achieve something in life u have to work hard :) hopefully i am able to manage and have seen lot of students work and do pa school at same time its difficult but not impossible!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a toss up.

CNA= way more beneficial for building your interpersonal skills with patients but the work is draining, pay is usually less.

Phleb= very monotonous job with little patient reaction because patients are usually angry at you for drawing timed series Troponin 3 times throughout the night, pay is usually higher

Pick your poison

Just take the loans out. The 10$ an hour you get wont be worth it. You will be throwing away 1000s of dollars in education because you will have less study time and be more sleep deprived while trying to study.

Very, very few people work doing pa school and the few that do are medics with lots of downtime to study on the job. Even they only work a couple shifts a month.

Me and my classmates calculated our time spent on PA school in a week during the first year. It was 80 to 100 hours most weeks. If you can work a job on top of that, you are way smarter than us.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

It's a toss up.

CNA= way more beneficial for building your interpersonal skills with patients but the work is draining, pay is usually less.

Phleb= very monotonous job with little patient reaction because patients are usually angry at you for drawing timed series Troponin 3 times throughout the night, pay is usually higher

Pick your poison

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe, Catch a tiger by the toe. If he hollers, let him go, Eeny, meeny, miny, moe.  

Archived