Going to school where you want to work in the future? Importance?

How important is it to go to school in the same state where you want to work?

I've heard some say that it is much easier to land a job through your rotations and furthermore if the school you're going to is well known in your state, you'll have a much easier time getting a job.

I recently was accepted to USC off the waitlist. However, I have already sent in a deposit and was already planning to go to school at Pace Lennox in NYC. I am now reconsidering USC but the thing is USC is a longer program ( 33 months) and much more expensive- 143k vs 90k for Pace. 

I know that I want to eventually live and work in California and I'm worried that if I go to school in New York I will be at a disadvantage finding a job and moving back to California afterwards.

Has anyone had experience with this? Thanks in advance!! 

USC is a better program than PACE

USC is in the correct state where you want to end up and will likely provide more job options from rotation sites

housing near USC will cost much less than housing near PACE

you will not have the expense and time loss incurred moving from NYC to CA after pa school if you go to USC

faster to get a CA license as a CA grad

I think you can see what I am getting at here.....

I always recommend that students try to rotate in the location they intend to work. If they come from elsewhere, we can try to set up a rotation for them out of state in their intended destination.

It has been my experience that PAs frequently do an awful job of networking. I think we are so damn busy in school we never recognize the importance and learn the skill, and we are so damn busy after we graduate we still never have the time to pick it up. I think it is one of the reasons have a hard time presenting a unified front like other professions do.

Rotate in as many places and meet as many people as you possibly can. But yes, definitely rotate where you intend to settle.

I have to differ with EMED - I know of no objective data that supports USC being "better" than Pace - both have respectable PANCE pass rates at or above the national rate.  More importantly, they are very different in their perspectives;  USC is  heavily focused on family medicine ( 2 FM rotations) while Pace is more generalist in its perspective (1 Primary Care).  While USC is 33 months long,  you get the first summer off so both are 7 academic semesters.  Certainly Pace is newer but ultimately I would encourage you to enter the program that will best prepare you for what you want to do.  If its Family Medicine then go to USC; if you aren't sure or you know you want to do something else, then go to Pace.

USC has access to the 2nd largest teaching hospital in the world as a primary rotation site. it is an older program and has "worked out all the kinks" which many newer programs have not done yet. I believe USC also hosts a board review course for its students at the end of the program (at least they used to).

frequently in state applicants are easier to license than out of state applicants because all references are local, they don't need to check with resources outside of the state, they are familiar with the training institution, etc.

USC is a better program than PACE

USC is in the correct state where you want to end up and will likely provide more job options from rotation sites

housing near USC will cost much less than housing near PACE

you will not have the expense and time loss incurred moving from NYC to CA after pa school if you go to USC

faster to get a CA license as a CA grad

I think you can see what I am getting at here.....

And those things are worth an extra 53k?!

Will Pace let you do rotations in California?  Do you have any current contacts in California that you can rely on to help secure rotations and/or provide job leads? These would be the predominant factors to consider.  If yes, then next drill down a budget to figure out if going to Pace will be financially more advantageous (after moving costs, finding places to live, etc) to you and your comfort level; the really important thing is for you to do what is necessary to get some rotation time in CA.  I can say from first-hand experience that just because a program is "older" in NO WAY assures that you will have quality rotation sites available to you.  Good luck!

Archived