Why is 1st time PANCE pass rate so low?

• 1 month later...
If you're a member of the Armed Forces, they will bend over backwards to ensure you pass. and if you're Special Forces, you become everybody's blue-eyed boy/girl

Agreed. Favoritism and oppression is this school's model of operation. You're not allowed to speak up and you will get special treatment depending on what group you belong to. My advice: just keep your mouth shut and get done with it. You're not going to learn anything useful in didactic year, just try to study on your own as much as you can so you'll get the most out of it in clinicals.

hello8001, I don't think that Carlasantana was implying favoritism... Correct me if I'm wrong Carlasantana. Personally, I have always heard that the faculty at Touro are extremely supportive and will help any student that struggles.

You will have a chance to judge for yourself when you get here :)

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the Nevada program PA faculty will be sympathetic and may help when asked, but a few seem to take things over and ruin it, especially during clinicals. Try to set up ALL of your own rotations, and nail it down to each month with each preceptor. Then you might have a better chance of good rotations.

The didactic year is full of memorizing powerpoints and not a lot of actual teaching. Also, they don't use Netter's anatomy atlas, but I still would personally--it is good.

Asking questions seemed to be punished during the didactic year--maybe it was my class, but it seemed to be a program reaction to questions even during clinicals when I was there. They are very defensive, not sure why. They will yell at you, unprovoked, simply because you are there either in person or on the phone. It is sad that the few are ruining it for the many students they effect. Previous classes have complained of the same treatment and I hope it has changed.

You will have to teach yourself, they will not teach you. That is true.

Sorry if this is too blunt or seems like ranting. Bad memories I suppose.

The pass rate is good because of the students--some take a month to study for the test so they will pass. You do what you have to do to get through. Not sure if it is much different at other schools. :sweat:

Most of the Nevada program PA faculty will be sympathetic and may help when asked, but a few seem to take things over and ruin it, especially during clinicals. Try to set up ALL of your own rotations, and nail it down to each month with each preceptor. Then you might have a better chance of good rotations.

The didactic year is full of memorizing powerpoints and not a lot of actual teaching. Also, they don't use Netter's anatomy atlas, but I still would personally--it is good.

Asking questions seemed to be punished during the didactic year--maybe it was my class, but it seemed to be a program reaction to questions even during clinicals when I was there. They are very defensive, not sure why. They will yell at you, unprovoked, simply because you are there either in person or on the phone. It is sad that the few are ruining it for the many students they effect. Previous classes have complained of the same treatment and I hope it has changed.

You will have to teach yourself, they will not teach you. That is true.

Sorry if this is too blunt or seems like ranting. Bad memories I suppose.

The pass rate is good because of the students--some take a month to study for the test so they will pass. You do what you have to do to get through. Not sure if it is much different at other schools. :sweat:

Totally agree regarding didactic. The PA faculty feel intimidated and threatened when you question them. The only time that it is safe to speak up is when the DOs and the PhDs teach. They even went so far to abolish the test challenge policy. The students used to be able to challenge test questions, but cannot do that anymore.

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be interviewing at Touro next week. In response to the comments above, do any of you have any suggestions about questions to ask the faculty or students? I want to make sure the program is going to be a good fit for me, and the comments above make me a bit wary.

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

Been there, done that! I just got into the 2014 class. I've heard all the rumors. A lot of repetition, so I guess there's no kidding around about the stern staff. Oh well, SUCK IT UP! only 1 real year with this people really in your face about it. I'm not scared. Just give me the chance to set for my PANCE. DONE!

• 1 month later...

I'm a student at Touro University, now in my clinical rotations (PA class of 2012) and I can assert that I have absolutely no regrets having chosen Touro as my Alma Mater. The going hasn't been easy, and the studies have been tough, but we should remember that patients' lives will be in our hands, and Touro does just what it should do: i.e., prepare us for a life as a medical provider. The first year is tough, and the toughest subjects can be Anat Biochem and Pharm, but we're all supposed to have some prior medical exposure and have the prerequisites under our belt, and it doesn't harm anyone to come prepared. The staff are extraordinarily caring, and at the beginning of then year, the Program Director will meet the spouses of the new students to tell them exactly why their husbands or wives will spend so much time studying. The Faculty go out of their way to help. The senior students are extremely helpful. There are Tutors provided to you if you fall back in any subject and don't ever hesitate to ask for one. And the proff of the pudding is finally in the eating: more than 95% of 2011 passed PANCE and some were offered jobs even during their rotations. The external rotations actually give us opportunities to strut our stuff to many different preceptors who want to employ PAs. So don't let anything dissuade you from joining a wonderful school and forging ahead in a wonderful career. Just come prepared to study and learn!

I'm a student at Touro University, now in my clinical rotations (PA class of 2012) and I can assert that I have absolutely no regrets having chosen Touro as my Alma Mater. The going hasn't been easy, and the studies have been tough, but we should remember that patients' lives will be in our hands, and Touro does just what it should do: i.e., prepare us for a life as a medical provider. The first year is tough, and the toughest subjects can be Anat Biochem and Pharm, but we're all supposed to have some prior medical exposure and have the prerequisites under our belt, and it doesn't harm anyone to come prepared. The staff are extraordinarily caring, and at the beginning of then year, the Program Director will meet the spouses of the new students to tell them exactly why their husbands or wives will spend so much time studying. The Faculty go out of their way to help. The senior students are extremely helpful. There are Tutors provided to you if you fall back in any subject and don't ever hesitate to ask for one. And the proff of the pudding is finally in the eating: more than 95% of 2011 passed PANCE and some were offered jobs even during their rotations. The external rotations actually give us opportunities to strut our stuff to many different preceptors who want to employ PAs. So don't let anything dissuade you from joining a wonderful school and forging ahead in a wonderful career. Just come prepared to study and learn!

• 6 months later...

Dear current and graduated PA students,

It would be extremely helpful if you could please provide any information about the interview process at Touro University-Nevada. It will be my first interview, and I am extremely nervous/excited about it. Thank you in advance! :smile:

Archived