Help! Insurance credentialling taking forever!!!

Hi everyone, 

I would really like some advice here. I am a recent grad....been working as a derm PA in TX for 4 months now. I was told during interview credentialling could take 2-4 months (they use genesis). It is now 4 months and I am still not on a few plans (big plans) and one in particular is still 90 days out. Is anyone else having this problem???

My concern is that I am currently given a training salary until i am fully credentialed...obviously this makes me nervous. 

Since I am so new....can't my doctor technically bill and me be the provider? Or does he still have to see each patient?

The wait is beyond frustrating as I am ready to make both him, and myself money!

Thank you all so much!!!

another reason why you should never agree to a "training salary"

Your doc should be sticking his head in the room for every patient and shaking their hand - then he can bill under his pin until you are fully credentialed (disclaimer - I have no idea if this is legal or ethical - but I have seen it done over and over and for a brief amount of time is seems reasonable)  or just set up a co-treat clinic till you are credentialed.

BUT if your contract says "training salary" there is actually an incentive for the Doc to delay moving you to "full status" (what ever that is)

Call in the insurance company daily and ask 

Be the fly in the ointment

Be a pest

Make them realize the only way to get you to stop calling it approve your credentials

Good lesson for everyone else on what not to sign for an employment contract (sorry but tying your pay to how fast an insurance company does something like credentialing is sort of crazy)

I guess hindsight is 20/20. :/ I will continue to be a pest...calling them myself...that is a good suggestion. Most of my agreement to a training salary was based on my wanting to get into the field so badly and the difficulty I had experienced with getting interviews without experience. Hopefully this will work out soon. I really appreciate the feedback!!!

This credentialing process that insurance companies do is a farce.  It could be done in 4 weeks or less if they wanted.  It just took 10 months to get my SP credentialed with one insurance company, and it appears that they never even looked at his packet until month 9.

Regarding billing under you SP's name . . . you can if you follow CMS guidelines for "Incident to."  

Archived