FINAL REVISION- Applying in 3 weeks need advice!!! :)

Most third degree burns end in skin grafts, but not my grandfather’s.  I spent the entire summer prior to entering college performing skin debridements, cleaning wounds, changing bandages, applying creams, and making sure all medications were taken. I had successfully helped heal my diabetic grandfather in, what the  UW-Madison Burn Center doctor said was, “one of the best and fastest recoveries they had ever seen.” Through the blood, gore, and tears, I sadly watched my grandfather suffer, but in the end, it was all worth it—for both of us.  The huge rush of relief, reward, and the humbling feeling of accomplishment was something I knew I wanted the rest of my life.

I entered college knowing that family health was my passion, but I was unsure as to how I could most directly pursue that goal. I began my freshmen year as a nursing major at Viterbo University.  I was also on the softball team, held a new secretarial position for the university political club, and I started working as a CNA.  Working in the nursing home, I had many patients who were unable to communicate their wants and needs. Instead of letting this frustrate me, I embraced the challenge. I found myself writing, drawing, using gestures, and even employing music therapy as way of communication. Not only did I overcome the obstacle, but I was able to build relationships and appreciate my patients on a new level.  I loved the bedside care and relational aspect of my job the most, but I needed something more; I needed a greater challenge.  I discovered that I wanted to have a say in the plan of care. 

I entered my junior year of college eager to learn and gain experience in the hospital setting.  I obtained a new CNA job at the Mayo Healthcare System Hospital in La Crosse, where I began working with gastrology, nephrology, respiratory, oncology, and pediatric patients. I assisted doctors, physician assistants (PA), and nurse practitioners.  I paid close attention to all providers and asked questions when teaching moments presented themselves.  I was most intrigued by the PA position as I watched them collaborate with physicians to improve the care of patients. It was apparent that the physicians were not simply giving orders to PAs. Instead, they were working together to provide the best possible outcome for the patient. This was an enlightening experience, as I got to see the leadership role of the PA along with the teamwork aspect, for which I have always had an affinity.  

From this experience, I knew I should focus my efforts on becoming a PA.  However, at this point in my schooling, I believed it was time for a new endeavor that would still incorporate my passion for helping others.  My courses in values, ethics, and servant leadership sparked my interest in volunteering at St. Clare Mission Clinic. Soon after volunteering, I was on my way to the slums of San Jose, Costa Rica, a community where poor hygiene, infectious disease, violence, drug abuse, and sex trafficking of children is considered “normal.”  This life-changing experience opened my eyes to the impact of economic disparity in health outcomes and treatment options, but also to the immense responsibilities of a PA in an underserved community.  Watching Miss Natalie Fernandez, I was able to learn the importance of patient histories and how to communicate with all types of patients.  Yes, the needs in Costa Rica were much different than the United States.  Still, I could see her methods as being applicable across all cultures, watching her perform the role of PA as well as mother, mentor, educator, and companion. 

I remember watching as the sweetest eleven-year old, Maria, not only forgot about her recent HIV diagnosis, but she smiled and laughed with pure joy. She was just happy to be in the presence of people who cared about her.  It became clear to me that patients’ emotional comfort and care are as important as their physical health.  Both are factors that a PA must consider while providing care. 

From my experiences, I have developed a unique perspective on the medical field’s multiple faces.  Working in medicine, I have also found my interests perfectly entwined with my passions regarding anatomy, pathophysiology, alleviating unnecessary suffering, building relationships, and incessant desire to help others in need.  Much like Miss Fernandez, as a PA, I will be more than just my patient’s provider; I will be an educator, a listener, and a shoulder to cry on in the time of need. As much as I enjoyed and both learned and prospered from my time in Costa Rica, I also realized that I do not have to travel far to help those in need.  People of all classes and walks of life are present in my own back yard.  I can’t think of any place I want to give back to more than the small, one-stoplight town that raised me and made me who I am today.

Archived