Career Change Applicant within Healthcare - Help!

Hi folks,

First, of all thanks to all the posters. As I've been reading, they've been extremely valuable in understanding the landscape.

A little about me:

I graduated in 2007 with a bachelors in Marketing. I went on to take a job for a consulting firm specializing in hospital financial processes improvement (think insurance verification, billing, insurance collections). Part of the reason why I took the job was an interest in healthcare. Over the years, I received several promotions and am now a manager in the firm. At this point in my career, I'm looking at a career change to a more direct patient care experience. My question is, would my "healthcare experience" give me any leg up or would I just be brushed aside since the business side of healthcare isn't what a traditional applicant would have experience in. My undergrad GPA was just under a 3.8. I would still need to take a lot of the pre-reqs and GRE and understand this would likely mean roughly a year of coursework before I could apply. In that year I would likely be able to amass some good shadowing time, but probably not a lot of patient facing clinical experience. Would I have a shot?

Thanks!

OK: now you are about 30, I gather. Once you get through PA school, I suspect you will have good luck getting a job -- especially in private practice somewhere -- as the combination of skills (PA, marketing, and billing) would make you especially valuable.

As far as getting from here to there, as noted elsewhere, schools have different requirements regarding healthcare experience and I would be surprised if your experience would count. Further, without getting your hands dirty somewhere, it might be hard for you to know that you would actually enjoy healthcare.

If I were you (and, I guess, in a way, I kind of was! See "Old Man on Campus") I would not try to do all my prereqs in one year and try to find some hands-on healthcare experience along the way. It is a sobering thing to be responsible for someone's health, even if you can conceptualize it. Rather than end up in the wrong place again (I've been there too), a little time to expose yourself to your prospective career field (beyond shadowing, which you do also need) might be a good idea.

Best of luck to you! As I said, once you get through all of this, you should have an easy time getting employment. Just don't be in too much of a hurry.

I'm a career changer as well. It can be done! Just be ready for some hard work. 

Ideally, shadow, get your EMT or CNA, find a part time job, and if you want to get into PA school faster, go full-time if you can. 

There are schools that will accept applicants without direct HCE, but I cannot emphasize how much better prepared having that direct experience will make you. Your healthcare related business experience will not be viewed negatively and will make you look more well rounded. However, it will not be accepted as direct HCE as you are not working directly (ie hands touching) with patients.

Thank you both! Sounds like I may be better served extending my pre-req "investment" time to 1.5-2 years and allow myself time to get into the trenches prior to applying. Unfortunately, with the number of pre-reqs I need to take, I'd probably only be able to work part time. The good news is I do have a good amount of money saved up to help with the financial stress this roughly 4 year period would impart upon me, as well as a strong support system. Thanks again! 

Archived