For all you CT Surg PAs...EVH training anyone?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

The practice will coordinate with the clinical training rep from the EVH system manufacturer. Any group hiring a new PA with no EVH experience should be doing this for the initial training. After that, it helps to have a PA colleague in the group available during cases for the first few months for support.

I am not aware of any stand-alone EVH training courses.

• 1 month later...

Any practice that hires a new grad/CVS EVH virgin has to know there is a learning curve. My advice for a new harvester is the Terumo system, as it is easier to learn on and has less parts to deal with. The Maquet Hemopro is very nice device and is great to use ( which I currently use), however just a tad more cumbersome when first learning to do EVH.

If you are a student and interested in CT surgery, give Jose a call over at BMC in Jackson, MS. They do 8-week rotations and teaches EVH along with all aspects of CV surg. I heard it's a great rotation by a few who have done it. Not sure if it is just for UAB students or not, but I'm sure you can squeeze in there if interested:

http://www.terumo-cvs.com/optimizing_conduit_quality/Mississippi_Hospital_a_Key_Training_Ground_for_Future_PACs_Interested_in_Learning_Vessel_Harvesting.shtml

I like the Chief of CVs quote: "I view PAs as being another physician," he said. "I want them to learn to look at patients and problems the way that I do. I don't want them to simply learn how to take a vein, but to understand how cardiac bypass procedures work and why we do what we do. If they can learn to think and work like I do, then they can function as another set of hands that can help me."

Archived