Looking into the PA program, some guidance needed.

I just recently started looking into the PA program, I have NO healthcare background at all. I have a Bachelors in Economics and Math from a top 25 university with a GPA of 3.3, then I was a stay at home mom for many years. I've always been interested in the sciences and even read medical journals for fun. I'm 30 right now and am starting my science pre-reqs (at an undergrad level) at a large state university this summer. I'm also enrolling in a 6 week CNA program next week from Kaplan college (also is a CNA better than an EMT certification? I have read that CNAs follow a nursing model while EMTs follow a medical model and are better for pre-PAs)

I have a lot of friends in the medical community (mostly Doctors and 2 PAs) so I'm thinking of asking if I can shadow them for 2-3 weeks during breaks from school. I plan on applying in 2015 if I have enough HCE hours racked up,even though the schools I'm looking at in my state have a minimum HCE requirement of 100-200 hours. I will be attending an PA school orientation in a few weeks to get more info but need to start my CNA class now or I won't have time later...btw, all you people who did their CNA training, did you do it online or in class? how long was it?

What else should I be looking into? 

Thanks for reading! 

Archived