How about a "blacklist" of questionable doctors?

I have noticed that many threads on the forum center around the professional relationship between a SP and PA. There are many variances in ethical and legal behavior of Physicians. It seems that the PA usually suffers even though he or she is not at fault. Often, people on the forum close with the advice "Move on." However, "moving on" has a cost called a switching cost. It can be substantial. There are licensing fees in another state, waiting times with potential loss of income during credentialing, loss of seniority in some cases, moving costs, burdens on the family, etc. It appears that doctors have a great deal of information about PAs when making decisions about employment (grades, board results, letters of recommendation, references, job history, etc) yet the PA has little information about the doctor in whom he is about to enter into a professional relationship. 

So, I've wondered how to balance the scales that presently skew far more favorably in the SP's favor and leave the PA vulnerable to unscrupulous behavior, misdeeds, dishonesty, and incompetence of SP.

Has there ever been a "blacklist" of sorts that the PA profession kept? It could contain accounts of every SP on many performance dimensions. When making a decision to change positions, a PA interviewing with an SP could access the "blacklist" to find potential red flags and save him or herself a lengthy and expensive career detour. 

Any thoughts on this?

If such a list exists, it has been and never will be published for obvious reasons.

I think the intent is really good- it helps us watch out for our own.  But some of this can be accomplished by word-of-mouth from other PA's who work in the same region; much harder to do when relocating across a state or to another state entirely.  

"black lists" are highly illegal and morall/ethically wrong.

One doesn't have to call it a "blacklist" to achieve the same effect and stay within the bounds of morality and the law. I would think that reporting the performance dimensions of an SP to a central repository for use in decision making doesn't sound terribly different than the functioning of a regulatory body like a medical board.

Guest Paula

My only advice is to look up the physician on the state medical board site and see if there are any disciplinary orders in place.  I have been unpleasantly surprised to see a few physicians I worked with on the list in one of the states I'm licensed in. 

Then they would make a blacklist of PAs. Some people just dont get along/like each other and would use it as slander whether legit or not. Their list would carry more weight. They can work without us, theoretically. Not vice versa at this point. Subjective, dirty, damaging. Slanderous. As stated ilegal.

I don't know how it works in other groups. But in our group, there are 30 doctors and 8 PAs. If for whatever reason the assigned SP can no longer fulfill his duties, then the PA gets switched to another one.

This happened to me when my SP left the practice. Now I have a different one. The group secretary took care of the paperwork and the group paid any fees due.

My SP cosigns my licensing paperwork. Otherwise, I have no more of a relationship with him than any of the other physicians I work with.

It helps than in MA, there's now no limit to how many PAs can be under one SP, so as long as my group has even one physician, then we're all good.

A blacklist sounds like a terrible idea. That's what the medical boards are for. Look people up. No need to maintain a separate list. In any job, there will be mismatched personalities.

I haven't had a horrible SP in 15 years, but I certainly did back then. There is nothing more sickening than finding out when you arrive that you were the last in a long list of PAs (each who where crushed) and to see ads go up in the PA Journal (after you leave) for their next victim. You do wish there were a way to stop this.  Narcissistic people never catch on that when they abuse others, it hurts themselves in the end. It is costly to hire and lose PA after PA.

Archived