Anyone familiar with MCPHS's Doctor of Health Sciences Program?

There has been a lot of discussions on Nova and AT Stills DHSc, but nothing on this DHS. I believe it is new and can't find out much information regarding the set up of the classes. If anyone can chime in, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I can post more info if/when I find out.

Program Overview

If you have a master’s degree or doctorate and are seeking further advancement, consider the online Doctor of Health Sciences (DHS) program to refine your teaching and leadership skills for positions in academic and clinical settings. With a foundation in research, policy, and ethics, candidates will concentrate on Higher Education or Administration and Leadership to focus on the issues and controversies surrounding healthcare. The online DHS program is designed for a variety of healthcare professionals, as the interdisciplinary curriculum provides a rigorous study of research and scholarship that will provide a foundation for developing solutions to the complex challenges facing our healthcare community.

Innovative Programs

When enrolled full time, candidates can expect to complete the program in three years. The MCPHS Online Doctor of Health Sciences program will be primarily online with two in-person residencies per year to focus on the dissertation, following topic approval. Candidates enrolled in the DHS program will:

• Explore health sciences through a variety of modalities with access to multidisciplinary electives at the oldest institution of higher education in Boston
  • Develop research methods and applicable solutions to address the challenges of health sciences in either education or administration
  • Access cutting edge information, using library resources developed by dedicated personnel with one of the largest medical product libraries in the country
Residencies

Following the approval of their dissertation topic, candidates will be expected to attend a one week residency, in-person, in both January and July until the dissertation is completed. Successful completion of the program includes the dissertation and dissertation defense, along with a comprehensive exam following the completion of all core courses.

Concentrations

Currently, MCPHS Online offers two concentrations within the Doctor of Health Sciences program.

• Higher Education Teaching - Candidates pursuing a concentration in Higher Education Teaching will investigate the unique challenges and methods of teaching health sciences today. In addition to the core curriculum of the DHS program, candidates will focus on effective teaching models, advancements and applications of educational technology, as well as grant writing. A concentration in Higher Education Teaching will prepare students to take on a leadership role in higher education, teaching the next generation of health science professionals upon graduation.
  • Administration and Leadership - A concentration in Administration and Leadership allows candidates to assess the risks and challenges facing the modern health sciences industry. In addition to the core curriculum of the DHS program, candidates will explore strategic planning and organizational behavior, as well as foundations in management and finance, to reduce risk and improve the systems that allow for successful implementation of healthcare. Candidates pursuing a concentration in Administration and Leadership will be prepared to take on a leadership role in the future of the healthcare industry in both the private and public sector.

https://online.mcphs.edu/programs/health-sciences-dhs

I agree with Emed, this is definitely more expensive.  I did my PA education at MCPHS Boston.  I am actually in the process of applying to this program, hopefully starting this Fall.  I will let you know if I find out any specific details.  I have asked the admissions coordinator about course scheduling/structure etc.  I asked the Boston PA program director about this degree and she informed me that some of the faculty were looking into possibly going into the program.  I felt like MCPHS was a good school, but they are not shy about how much their programs can cost.   

I agree with Emed, this is definitely more expensive.  I did my PA education at MCPHS Boston.  I am actually in the process of applying to this program, hopefully starting this Fall.  I will let you know if I find out any specific details.  I have asked the admissions coordinator about course scheduling/structure etc.  I asked the Boston PA program director about this degree and she informed me that some of the faculty were looking into possibly going into the program.  I felt like MCPHS was a good school, but they are not shy about how much their programs can cost.   

so why not apply to nova or atsu? they are both also online with minimal on campus requirements. I will spend 3 weeks on campus over 4 years at nova and could have done 2 weeks if I wanted to double up on summer courses.

in addition to the higher tuition this program also requires a a dissertation:

"Successful completion of the program includes the dissertation and dissertation defense, along with a comprehensive exam following the completion of all core courses.".

both nova and atsu have a senior applied research project and no exit exam.

if I wanted to do a dissertation I would do the online Dr. of public health program (DrPH) at boston university: http://www.bu.edu/sph/academics/degrees-and-programs/doctor-of-public-health-drph/

also, looks like this program does not have a global health option, which is available at both nova and atsu.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised by the dissertation and comprehensive exam requirement.  I am going to look at Nova and ATSU as well.  I don't know if there are any specific advantages to having to do a dissertation/comprehensive exams.  Maybe for publishing purposes?  Not entirely sure.  I also didn't fully understand why the degree lettering was different (DHS), rather than DHSc, considering I haven't found a real difference between the two.  

the dissertation and comprehensive exam is a way in which faculty can ensure the doctoral candidate has established mastery in the his/her areas of focus within the broad discipline of the degree. If a doctoral program did not include this and a department outside of PA or NP was looking to bring you onboard I could see that being a potential issue. especially if you were looking to instruct/research in a specific area. As someone who has instructed in an online course for two years now I can see how research methods are difficult to communicate in that forum. However, other forms of coursework (maybe not ethics, or an advanced biostats / epi course where workshops are important)  I think can be just as good in the remote learning experience.

At Nova we have several significant research projects to complete which are gone over with a fine toothed comb. I had a 23 page paper returned last semester for rewrite for a semicolon out of place.

The global health pathway also requires mastery of significant coursework in stats, research methodology, epidemiology, comparative international health systems, global health policy, clinical issues for diverse populations, etc.

My applied research project will likely influence the way patients are seen at a number of health care facilities in Haiti and the way staff members are trained to work at those facilities.

I don't think a dissertation would be all that different than what I am doing now. my applied research project is based on months of original research in Haiti over several years. I have tailored my experience to basically be a doctorate in global public health and tropical medicine. I also have other graduate level coursework from other institutions and multiple publications to support this.

I can see how a more recognized degree like a PhD or DrPH might help in certain job pursuits but I can't see myself ever wanting to go in those directions. I certainly don't want to do research full time. my current program prepares me for international medical practice(including hospital director type positions-one of which I have already been offered), teaching pa or basic science students, or teaching global health at the graduate level.

I def was not knocking the DHSc degree or program at Nova. One of my bosses completed that program and has provided a lot of guidance to me ...  It seems to offer a good experience.

I know, I was just talking about dissertation vs non-dissertation options. I think if you want to do full time research a dissertation probably makes sense. other than that I can't see a reason to do one. ATSU seems to be more research related than Nova and Nova has  better applied and global health tracks in my opinion.

at ATSU global health is 3 courses, at Nova it is at least 8.

at ATSU research methodology is 3-4 courses, at Nova it is 1.

all depends what you are looking for. I have very little interest in long term research and lots of interest in application of global health knowledge in a clinical setting overseas

• 1 year later...

Please is anyone in this forum on this progam yet? I was accepted into this program for this fall but declined because I was worried that it was new program. I am  leaning towards joining the Spring semester session but wanted someone if possible to give me a hint about the program. Please I need your help about the structure of the program and if it is viable considering the tuition cost.

fewer credits than either nova or atsu but a lot more expensive by around 300 dollars/credit!

Yeah but if you add it up they have almost exactly the same cost. If I am adding this correctly

Nova  $40,225 

MCPHS $41,760

I think these are designed for different students. The MCPHS has two very explicit tracks - either education or leadership. The education is a nice alternative to the EDd. 

The Nova program allows more individual design - for example global health. Also the PhD is interesting. If you wanted management with a regulatory emphasis could be done nicely at MCPHS. 

Different programs for different folks. I can see the MCPHS program being popular for academics. 

• 2 weeks later...

Deb,

Let us know how MCPHS's program is. I decided to do Nova's program instead because I really want to work in global and/or public health. I'm finishing up my 4th class now and had my first Summer Institute at Nova in July. In general I'm pretty happy with the program. So many more courses to go though!!

-K

Deb,

Let us know how MCPHS's program is. I decided to do Nova's program instead because I really want to work in global and/or public health. I'm finishing up my 4th class now and had my first Summer Institute at Nova in July. In general I'm pretty happy with the program. So many more courses to go though!!

-K

enjoy the program. I finish up this week.

Archived