Negotiating Pay

I just wanted to post this here to see what everyone thinks. I am not completely done with PA school yet but I already have a job lined up if I want it. Here is my dilemma: before going to PA school I was a cardiac sonographer and made about 75k-80k (that is a common salary for sonographers), the hospital I worked at pays new grad PAs between 72-75k. The Cardiology group at the hospital I worked at wants to hire me as soon as I finish school, but I am sure the starting pay will be 72k-ish.  I know that my previous experience doesn't give me a lot negotiating power, and I did not go back to school for money (I actually took a huge hit with income loss and 100k tuition, but it's just a bummer to make less than I did as a tech with more responsibility as a PA. Does anyone think there is a way for me to negotiate to make at least what I did as a tech?

welcome to being a new grad PA and not an experienced professional in another field

It is really hard to get higher starting rates based on non PA experience -  might be a few places ie ATC going into ortho, and Medic into ER where there might be some bump, but in general no dice....

You might go at it from the other angle of longevity raise?  

A lot of physician assistant jobs are very negotiable on pay and benefits, but that sometimes depends on factors that are outside of the candidate's qualifications. Demand for care, presence of competing groups and hospitals, access/proximity to PA training programs, and other candidate or lack thereof are the ones that come to the top of my head.  

If I were you, I would weigh those factors as they apply to my personal situation/location, against my desire for more pay and ability to potentially relocate for a better position elsewhere if unable to successfully negotiate the desired rate.  

Sometimes it really helps to ask the employer early in the process if pay/benefits are negotiable for a candidate with xzy special qualifications.  Wait until mutual interest is established so you don't come off as too greedy.

Good luck with your search and negotiations!

Mike @ HospitalRecruiting.com

The Cardiology group at the hospital I worked at wants to hire me as soon as I finish school, but I am sure the starting pay will be 72k-ish.

If this is true, they must already value you as a known quantity and I would expect them to make an offer no less than you were getting previously.

Sent from my Kindle Fire HDX using Tapatalk 2

Archived