Factitious diarrhea

Guest Paula

Guest Paula

I go back to work tomorrow.  I will let you know.  I wish I had been on vacation but was on a medical leave....all is well.  Except my husband who desperately needs me to go back to work.  I laid in bed with my crown and golden scepter and bossed him around.  Type A personality I am, but he did a great job of vacuuming and laundry.  

Robotic assisted surgery is a godsend. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Paula

Update to the case:  The patient will be seen by endocrinology for persistent anxiety, diarrhea and abdominal pain.  TSH 0.69, FT4 1.5.  Appointment is end of April.

• 2 months later...
Guest Paula

Update:  Endocrinology said it's not her thyroid.  GI said it was a sluggish bowel (or something like that).  Ultimately, she finally admitted to IV drug use and was using cocaine.  She now has contracted hepatitis C.  I suspected something like this all along and kept wondering why the doc wasn't drug screening her.  I even suggested she was back to using drugs but that suggestion was rebuffed.  

Oh, well. 

Guest Paula

I'm reaching, but could her history of opioid abuse have altered her gut homeostasis in such a way that diarrhea is her new norm?

You got it!!!!

Archived