Would "Medical Laboratory Sciences" be a good major?

I was evaluating the University's majors that I am transferring too and saw that their MLS degree was a 3+1 program (3 years in school + 1 year in the lab). Would this be a good major? I figured the year of lab experience while working as a CNA during the prior years would be a good combination. Please give me some constructive insight. 

Yes, MLS is great experience that will come in very handy, both in didactic and clinicals.  It lacks much patient interaction but working as a CNA in the meantime can fill that gap.  Just as an FYI - your time rotating through labs while in the CLS program does not count towards your HCE.  

While working in the lab won't count as HCE, it will strengthen my application won't it?

I guess about the same as being in an EMT course or nursing clinicals.  They don't count as HCE hours because it is part of your training, and is just entered under CASPA as your coursework and "health related training."  You will need to work in a lab after graduating and passing your boards if you want it to count towards your HCE.

Archived