Weak GPA

So I thought I had a 3.0 GPA but I actually graduated with a 2.9. I have a bachelor's in Psychology and I'm looking to take prerequisites to boost my GPA. I want to take classes at a 4-year university but they have limits on how many credits you can take as a non-degree student. And then when I looked into post-baccalaureate programs, they all require at least a 3.0 GPA to get in. So...is my only option is to take all these prerequisite courses at a Community College? I need to take at least 24 credits in prerequisites, all science. And I absolutely need to boost my GPA. What should I do? Please be honest. Help. I'm beginning to feel hopeless.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

You do not have to be in a specific "post-baccalaureate" program. You can just start with some community college classes and these are acceptable to many if not most PA programs I believe. Now most PA programs are impressed by upper division science courses, and some PA programs require one or more upper division science courses. These type of courses are probably not available at a community college (not where I live anyway).

Look at the requirements for PA programs you are interested in. It may work out well if you take a year of community college then a few courses at a four year university. And your GPA should be up around 3.2 (?) or higher by the time you finish your prerequisites - if you get mostly A's. You better get mostly A's anyway if you want a reasonable shot at getting in.

Really you're in pretty decent shape if you're ready to commit to doing really well in the prerequisite science courses (they're harder than Psychology!) Try to get some higher quality health care experience if you can. Preferably including drawing blood and giving injections of some sort. PA schools don't seem to be overly impressed with nurse aide or physical therapy aide stuff. They want blood! :)

You are not in a hopeless situation at all. Good luck to you!

Thank you very much. My only other question is how exactly do I calculate my cumulative GPA? I think I did it right, but I'm really not positive. I have a GPA from my 1st college (4-year university). Then I have a GPA from my 2nd college (Community College) which includes the 1st college's transferred credits. And then I have my 3rd GPA (4-year college) that includes all the 1st and 2nd colleges' transferred credits which became my final undergrad GPA when I got my degree. So...when calculating my cumulative GPA from all schools, do I use each institutions' final GPA or do I have to separate all credits and calculate my GPA for each school using ONLY the credits from that specific school? If anyone can give me an example, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

To find your GPA you must make a list of every course you have ever taken at any college. If you repeated a course mark it down twice. Mark down the grade you recieved and how many grade points and units for each class. For example a B in a four unit class is 3.0 (B) times four units makes 12 grade points. At some schools you might recieve a B+ which would be 3.3 times four units for 13.2 grade points. Quarter units count 2/3 of semester units. Total up the grade points earned and divide by the number of units to find your overall GPA.

You have to do this for every class because CASPA does not accept grade replacements. For example, if you got a D in chemistry then took the class over and got a B, you have to count both classes when calculating your GPA. Schools will also be concerned with your "BCP GPA" which includes Biology classes, Chemistry classes and Physics classes.

Okay. I have one class I failed, took it again and passed. So for example: 3 credit course and 12 points earned, 3 credit course and 0 points earned, and 4 credit course and 16 points earned. I calculate: (12+0+16)/(3+3+4)=28/10= 2.8 GPA. I include all courses and it doesn't matter what grading scale each school used (A, B, C vs. A-, B+, B)? I'm sorry, I just want to make sure I calculated the right GPA, because if so, I have a higher GPA than I thought (I don't want to get my hopes high). I would have a cumulative 3.2 GPA compared to a 2.9!

Okay. Someone told me to do it like this: 1st College GPA * # Credits Attempted at that college = X, 2nd College GPA * # Credits Attempted at that college = Y, 3rd College GPA * # Credits Attempted at that college = Z. Then (X + Y + Z)/(Total # Credits Attempted from 1st, 2nd and 3rd College) = Cumulative GPA. That gave me a lower GPA. But thank you for the link. I wish I had thought of just looking it up on the CASPA website.

Rather than calculating it all by hand, I found a GPA calculator that used the same grade point values that CASPA uses.  It ended up giving me the same GPA that CASPA calculated - I just had to put in all the courses, grades, and credits to calculate each GPA I wanted.  I didn't go to Berkeley or anything - it was just the right calculator!  Here's the link: http://academicservices.berkeley.edu/advising/gpa/

Also I took several prereqs as a post bacc student at a 4 year university (anat, phys, micro, orgo, biochem) and then took a couple lower level courses at a community college after that.  I think with having a lower GPA myself, it worked in my favor to take the higher level sciences at the 4 yr and prove I was capable of doing well at that level, then I was able to take classes like psychology and medical terminology for less money at the community college.  Definitely not necessary if you can find all the prereq classes at the CC, but something worth thinking about.  Good luck! 

In another discussion in which I posted a question, I was told I was either "trolling or incapable of reading." So if I am "trolling" then I apologize, it was not my intention to. This is my first time in a forum and really do appreciate everyone's help. If I say something wrong, please inform me but do so politely. Thank you. 

What do you consider a low GPA? Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Make a list of schools you want to apply to. Go to the school websites and look up what their average stats for accepted students are. If your GPA is lower than that, it is most likely not competitive.

The schools are the ones deciding if you have what it takes not us so try doing some research on your own or contact schools and ask them.

Archived