GRE preparation

I am planning to take the GRE this summer. I don't have months to study because I'm taking science prerequisites, along with working, having a family, etc. I will probably have a few weeks to focus on it. I want to make the best use of the study time that I have. Any advice or suggestions to prepare for the exam would be greatly appreciated!!

Lol @NathanLe. Taking your approach, I'm assuming that your really good at one of the components (math or verbal). I took the old style GRE and will have to retake since my score is from 2008. I was already decent at math, but many of the study words were only "vaguely familiar". I got a 1170 (about a 153 avg) the first time and a 1350 the second (around 160 M/V).

I would buy at least one book based on amazon reviews, and some verbal flashcards. I think a few weeks is pushing it... I think a better approach would be to studying 10min per day in both math and verbal starting NOW. It's a better method than trying to cram all those 10min chunks into a few weeks. Unless you are really good at both math and verbal already, in which case you might not need to study at all :)

I purchased the Manhattan Prep book set about a year ago. It is a lot though and I know I won't be able to get through all of it in a few weeks. I started with the math, thinking that would be my weaker area. I haven't had time to touch these books in months. But, I've been doing a lot of math in my Chemistry courses, so I am probably going to focus more on the writing.  

I will have some days that I can devote most of the day to preparing for it. I will also be sure to take practice exams. I guess I'm just anxious because I will be able to study for the GRE for about 3 weeks and not 3-6 months!

I found the Princeton Review book (the single review book) to be HUGELY helpful a few years ago.  Their math review was succinct and useful, and their vocabulary "hit list" is really nice (you really need to know the vocabulary--plain memorization).  They also were good at helping with strategy (which was surprisingly important when I took the test 3 years ago or so).  In summary: know the vocabulary, shore up any weaknesses in the math, learn the strategy, and take a practice test or two.

Good luck!

Spend the majority of your time studying the math, as the majority of it is "tricks" to complete the problems.  Doing more than just learning some vocab and getting familiar with he verbal problem style is a waste of time.  There is a reason the GRE verbal score can be correlated roughly with IQ, it cannot be raised significantly with study.

I purchased the Manhattan Prep book set about a year ago. It is a lot though and I know I won't be able to get through all of it in a few weeks. I started with the math, thinking that would be my weaker area. I haven't had time to touch these books in months. But, I've been doing a lot of math in my Chemistry courses, so I am probably going to focus more on the writing.  

I will have some days that I can devote most of the day to preparing for it. I will also be sure to take practice exams. I guess I'm just anxious because I will be able to study for the GRE for about 3 weeks and not 3-6 months!

I took the GRE without studying at all (wanted to see how I would do, since I couldn't focus on studying).  The verbal section I didn't think was too bad, and honestly I think it would be hard to study for; theres no way to know all the words they could possibly use.   I did poorly on the math section, I kept hoping it was done when the test would switch to verbal questions, then it'd go back to math! (I didn't look at the format of the test either...).   I felt like there were a lot of geometry questions on there, brush up on area formulas of different shapes, also some trig.  

For what it's worth I got Q149, V158 W4.0, haven't taken it again yet

Why the sarcasm? My advice was sincere and relevant.

pct2010 - I apologize for my snarky comment. Your intentions were good. One of the best pieces of advice I have received is that it is better to under promise and over deliver. Just food for thought. Again, apologies for the unnecessary sarcasm. Now back to the OP's inquiry...

I was in a similar situation as you - working 60 hours a hours a week made it difficult to find adequate time to study. I would suggest focusing on your weaknesses. For me it had been a long time since I had taken basic math classes so that was my focus. I completed the entire ETS book and used magoosh for the extra math help. I also went over the most common vocab words (I believe the book was by Barrons). This prepared me enough to do fairly well on the exam, but of course more time would have been ideal.

Archived