staying vs going

I'm taking a month off to be home and be mom and think about things. Sorry for the long post.

I posted a while back (don't even remember when) about how to know it's time to leave gracefully. As it turned out I stayed mostly because I wasn't sure what else I would do. I started working more for the group (7 neurologists)and less for my main SP - he was not happy about this. Fortunately there was a raise too - not huge, but something. I have a fairly unique set up where I only go in 3 days per week - they are heavy clinic days - and I do my desktop work from home on the other days. The idea was to work only a few hours those days so I could still be mom at least some of the time. I am the first PA in this practice and they have surprisingly accommodated most of my requests. I have a 30-60 minute commute depending on traffic and there are days I don't mind and others that I do. The last year my so called part time arrangement has been more like full time. I tried cutting back my hours already and it didn't work; I was still doing the work and getting paid less. So I went back up on my FTE. I have this anxiety about who's covering (or not covering) my work while I'm away; I also would feel horribly guilty about leaving (even with enough notice) because there a whole bunch of people I said I would follow once one of our physicians left.

3 of the physicians I really enjoyed working with have left or are in process of leaving. The group has been pretty unstable since I've been there. My main SP wants me back full time with his practice which is more narrow in scope. Not sure if I want to do that. I have been asking for help for 2 years now; I'm hoping we are hiring a new PA to start in March. Having a second PA could be looked at in one of 2 ways; either my load lightens or it's time to get out.

So I've been out interviewing. The family practice 5 minutes from my house is looking for a PA. 4 days per week, 9-5 schedule somehow with 2 hour lunch. Solo practice MD + 1 fairly new grad PA. Very nice physician but his wife (red flag!) is the office manager. Salary is a base salary plus production incentive based on collections. The base is a lot lower than my current salary and it sounds like there might be months that there is a production bonus and others that there isn't. Benefits are ok (CME, vacation, 50% of health insurance covered, 401k). I still need to confirm licensing fees/DEA etc. The appealing part of this is the 5 minutes from home part. I could conceivably get 2 hours of my day back. Other part of me is worried about whether I can manage going from specialty to primary care - I don't think the hours would necessarily be that better. My other concerns are the salary issue and whatever office dynamics there are. I tracked down and talked to the PA who used to work there - she gave me the full rundown and told me it's not a bad gig; just go in with eyes open. I'm going in to shadow for a morning this week hoping to get a better feel for what it's like.

I also interviewed at OHSU (a little less of a commute) for a research position in neurology. Mostly study and clinical trials visits but all Alzheimer's disease and cognitive impairment. There would be some clinic work also. They are flexible - the position could be part time or full time. Only had initial interview though so no discussion yet about salary/benefits etc. Really liked the neurologist overseeing most of the studies. Not sure what to think of academic environment - no frame of reference to go on. Quirky thing about OHSU is that there is apparently no parking??? Not sure what to make of that. As a parent it's pretty important to be able to get to a kid quickly if needed....

So after all that I'm torn...I'd like more time with my family and to work closer to home but don't want to find myself in a situation a year from now regretting a decision to change things. I'm sitting and writing out all the pros and cons to each scenario and there isn't any one situation that's looking much better than another.

I find myself wondering if maybe the best thing to do is sit tight where I am and make the best of it for another year or so...sometimes the poop you know is better than the poop you don't know.

Any and all thoughts much appreciated. Thanks

at OHSU you can park in lots at the bottom of the tram and get dropped off by the tram right on campus. I took a course there 2 years ago and did that to avoid driving up the hill. OHSU employees get free tram passes.

p.s. 50% of health insurance is not acceptable in my book.

It's hard to know how aggressively to negotiate for a job I'm not sure I want but I agree the benefits are not stellar.  I've talked to enough people at OHSU that the parking shouldn't be that big a deal. 

I'm spending a morning this seek shadowing at the primary care office- hope to have a better feel for things after doing that

Archived