Fun Topic: NP with CME/internet job buying Hawaiian property on TV

Just watched an episode of Hawaii Life on HGTV and one of the parties was a NP who worked for a nursing CME enterprise and only required Internet accessibility to perform her job duties. Bought a Maui property for $400K plus for herself, mom, and two kids. Where can I find a job like that, even without the Hawaii relocation (though I'd do that also, especially Maui or Kauai)? Ugh.... FYI, there was a PA in ortho on Oahu a week or so ago looking to buy a home as well with his wife.

It was a primary residence for the family.  No husband was mentioned and the residents were herself, her mom (who, reading between the lines, most likely provided a majority of the investment from the sale of her former residence in Tampa), and two school age children.  They had requested a 2BR/1 bath setup and were shown two free-standing homes and a townhouse/condo.  Comments implied that apparently she and mom were going to share a bed and the two kids were going to be in the other bedroom.

The other scenario with the actual PA a couple of weeks back revealed that his wife was a teacher as I recall (young couple).  I don't recall their budget (more than the $400-500K budget the NP/mom had).  They ended up NW of Honolulu as I recall.

There was an ED physician and her partner that bought a very nice home (with a very nice budget that I seem to recall went from $800K to over $1,000,000) several weeks ago as well.  They were on the big island as I recall, or at least weren't on Oahu.

My family has been fortunate enough to visit multiple times over the years, and if finances allowed, I would move away to at some later date.

Well, it's very doable then. My primary residence costs way more than that! I do have a husband but the mortgage and the house are in my name only, achieved exclusively with my PA salary. Which I've only had for 3 years.

I shoulda moved to Hawaii. It's something like 18 degrees here right now, which is positively balmy after the recent windshield of 20 below!

My perspective is more jaded due to lower housing costs here in Texas, though our residence is paid for. I've come to the realization that once I return to work, in whatever capacity, that it would still be cheaper in the long run to take more frequent and longer trips to visit than to actually live there. A $400K house there would be lower $100K here. Here, $400K gets you a new two story brick structure with nice upgrades and in the ballpark of 3500-4000 sq. feet.

Yeah, I'm in a suburb about 10-15 minutes from Boston, so the house you describe, in my town would cost 1-1.5 million depending on how big a lot.

My house is updated and 2,900 sq ft on 1.5 acres, which for this area is pretty huge.

Just for fun, when we were house hunting, we looked what this price range (750k) would buy us in my husband's hometown in the Midwest. The answer was: an effing mansion! In fact, there was only one house in his little town that cost more than that, and it was still under 1 million. Very depressing!

But Hawaii is even more expensive! And the cost of living is super high, too. Gas, groceries, even Starbucks was outrageously expensive when I visited there.

Having said that, even though I've traveled a lot in my life, Maui is the single most beautiful place I've ever seen. Truly breathtaking!

Might have to start planning 2015's vacation! We're going to the USVI this year, which is not too shabby from what I hear, although I've never been.

I dream of moving somewhere warm and tropical once my kids go off to college, but I'm in a bit of a gilded cage work wise. I make above-average money for my field and I'm in a state with arguably some of the best PA legislature in the country.

Hoping the other states and regions catch up to MA in the next 5-6 years!

Archived