Idea's for prior to starting program?

I was recently accepted to NAU's PA program. I am relocating to Phoenix within the next few weeks, and have everything done to attend the program. I have been trying to brainstorm what would be best to do to fill the gap in time between January and August when the program starts. I am worried about getting out of "school mode" but also would like to further my medical knowledge. I am currently a Firefighter/Paramedic as well as an RN, and hold all AHA and Red Cross instructor certs. 

I will probably work part-time as a medic or nurse, the rest of my time is up in the air.

Any thoughts? 

I've browsed a few threads, and working if probably on an helicopter, bus or ER is in the works. I was wondering if anyone could think of some licenses or certs that may help during the program. 

I was thinking about a rural provider program in the summer for paramedics and PA's but need to stay sharp and keep my skills up for sure. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was recently accepted to NAU's PA program. I am relocating to Phoenix within the next few weeks, and have everything done to attend the program. I have been trying to brainstorm what would be best to do to fill the gap in time between January and August when the program starts. I am worried about getting out of "school mode" but also would like to further my medical knowledge. I am currently a Firefighter/Paramedic as well as an RN, and hold all AHA and Red Cross instructor certs. 

I will probably work part-time as a medic or nurse, the rest of my time is up in the air.

Any thoughts? 

If i had the time and money, I would probably do something "fun" like a wilderness medicine course. Then again, I'm one of those dorks that finds educational experiences to be fun! Another option is a foreign language course or club at your local community college or library. Rural provider course also sounds great. 

Archived