Any PAs or PA-S here with an active RN license?

Hello, 

Just wondering if any practicing PAs or PA-students out there who were registered nurses and still have their RN license active? How did you keep up with your continuing education credits? My state (MN) requires 24 credits and it would be a waste to let my RN license go. At the same time, I dont want to spend a lot of time and money on something that I won't use later in my PA practice. Thank you. 

I will be keeping both my RN and MLS active while a student and beyond.  The continuing education can be a bit of a pain, but it provides some interesting opportunities for the future.  One of the reasons I did not choose the NP route is that I believe both the didactic and clinical portions are severely lacking; however, their lobbyists have their act together a heck of a lot more than the AAPA. If/when I should ever decide to open a practice, a NP license would smooth over a lot of the headaches I have seen PAs encounter.  And since I want to live and practice in the Pac NW it is worth it for me.  Regional/state considerations can play a role in that decision.

There wasn't much to it actually. I e-mailed my state board of nursing and asked them if classes like pathology, pharm, physio, anatomy, and clinical medicine counted as CE. They didn't have a problem with it. Now if I can only get NREMT do do the same. Kind of strange that my one semester certification is harder to keep than my RN.

Archived