Dual Degree of PA and Masters of Healthcare Administration, Worth It?

The program I will be attending offers a dual degree option of getting a masters in healthcare administration or public health along with my PA degree. The second masters degree is offered basically entirely online during the clinical phase and after, if more time is needed.  the cost is about $500 per credit and is 48 credits long. I am a 27 year old male being a PA is my career choice for the very long term. With some uncertainty for the future of medicine, I want to make myself a strong job candidate for future employment as well as having the skills and background to take on managerial duties as a future PA. I know of a few PAs in my area who have managed a clinic where the doctor wasn't physically present and were rewarded pretty well financially for it. If i can manage to have the time and energy to complete the dual degree during my PA or a little after my PA degree is complete, should I do it? Is it worth the cost? Will it make me a more hirable graduate and later a more hirable professional? Will it help me in my future as i seek for managerial positions in hospitals and clinics? 

I'm looking for feedback from those in the field and also wondering if a dual degree of a MPH may be a better choice.

Sounds exactly like the program that was offered at my school. We had two students in a class of 66 do it. Only one of them finished by the time we graduated - it's a good amount of extra work during a time when you are learning a lot of new things. The other student is finishing now, about six months after graduation from PA school. Both of them liked it, but I suppose it says something that only 2/66 did it. Not sure what it says, but something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will help in regards to clinical responsibilities or make you more marketable for clinical positions? No

If you have interest in working in other roles aside from clinical duty, then it might.

If you want to manage or run a clinic without the SP there, you can do that without the masters in public health. It really depends what you want to do w that. When I was in school I believe only 4 people went through the mph

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hey thanks for the feedback, I guess i'm trying to figure out if the benefits out-weigh the cost. I hate to add an extra 25 grand to my student debt, but I wonder if down the road opportunities will open up where having the masters of healthcare administration could help me take on a role as healthcare administrator or as a fall back in case something negetive happens to the PA career. The increase in the number of new PA programs and enrollment increases in current programs makes me a little nervous and having healthcare administration to fall back on doesn't seem like a bad idea. But, I have to admit that the dual degree could be an expensive insurance policy.

Archived