Looking for guidance -- please

I am looking for your wisdom and guidance as I start thinking about the PA profession.

I am currently a Senior Administrative Assistant for a department that handles mental/ spiritual distress in patients (at a very prestigous cancer center). I have been doing this job for the past 9 years. Prior to this, I worked as a medical receptionist for  while completing my Bachelor's degree In Psychology. So, all in all, I have been in the medical field for about 13 years (with little direct patient contact). About 2 years ago, I met a wonderful PA who specialized in kids with Autism (as the mother of his patient), and I was so impressed by skills and knowledge that I started learning more about this profession.

I am sorry if this all sounds "naive", but I am looking for guidance as of what steps I should take next. I am ready to start taking pre-requisite courses as a part time student next year. I graduated  college in 2004. I am also the mother of 2 young children. Would any of my years working in these 2 jobs in the medical field count towards anything? I have come in touch with hundreds of patients and family members, listened to their stories just by sitting at my desk and coordinating, but I am not sure any of it counts as anything.

I pretty much have my heart set on this and I believe I will make an wonderful PA one day. I am smart, caring, extremely compassionate and very detail oriented and have always had an interest in medicine.

Please advise.

Thank you in advance

Christine,

The profession can always use another motivated practitioner. It sounds like you are on your way with prerequisites. .

PAs are trained as generalists and then specialize with optional rotations, residencies (sometimes), or on the job training. To be ready for that kind of training, you will likely need to get some healthcare experience outside of what you have been doing so that you can understand the overall system and where you would fit in it. If you already work in a large cancer center, you may be able to find opportunities there to do that.

You should probably find a job (volunteer or otherwise) that gets you closer to patients, disease states, treatments, and interacting with the larger healthcare team. Some schools want paid experience and others don't care. Some of us did that as EMTs, or patient care assistants, or phlebotomists, etc. I did it without ever quitting my "day job" until a month before PA school started.

If you poke around on the forum, you will likely find discussions that will help you plan your path.

Good luck!

Disclaimer: I'm a pre-pa just like you. I would get your EMT and volunteer on a 911 service on your offtime. Check your local fire departments as they might provide that class for free. From my experience theyre typically held on evenings on weekends so theyre doable while working 9-5. After that I'd take A&P and your other pre-reqs at a community college at night. Just make sure you do well! And start shadowing a PA. If you do all of those things I think you'd be successful. 

Disclaimer: I'm a pre-pa just like you. I would get your EMT and volunteer on a 911 service on your offtime. Check your local fire departments as they might provide that class for free. From my experience theyre typically held on evenings on weekends so theyre doable while working 9-5. After that I'd take A&P and your other pre-reqs at a community college at night. Just make sure you do well! And start shadowing a PA. If you do all of those things I think you'd be successful. 

I would not do this in the OP's situation.

OP - Take your pre-reqs. You have valuable life experience even if it won't count as direct patient care. In your situation I would finish pre-reqs with outstanding grades while utilizing your connections within the cancer center where you work to gain a little more "medical" contact with patients. I don't know exactly what avenues might be open to you there, but UGoLong is right in that PA schools will value paid experience over unpaid. Take some time to ask your network and talk to human resources. They will probably be quite encouraging of you furthering your education.

To be honest, you can probably find a good PA program that will take you without any additional experience if you can draft a compelling personal statement and wow them in the interview. But additional experience will only help you.

In my experience, program faculty are not just looking for cookie-cutter applicants. You have demonstrated a commitment to patients and have been in healthcare long enough to articulate why you want to be a PA instead of something else.

Archived