Looking for a good pre-written LOR template

A professor who agreed to serve as a reference for me said he'd like me to send him a template of a "typical" LOR. This guy is obviously very laid-back and just a generally nice guy, but I don't want to write something up that sounds obnoxiously glowing or otherwise over-the-top. Since I'm not sure how much praise is too much praise, does anyone have a generic LOR template that they've used before that references approved of?

He's just looking for advice on how to meet your needs and help you out. I would tell him that a great LOR shows the adcom that the writer knows the applicant, and that it details certain strengths that are appealing in a PA. For example, you might tell him that including an example of your teamwork skills, initiative, attention to detail, etc would be helpful in addition to basic info like how long he's known you and what your relationship was/is. If he knows you in a clinical capacity, adding a line or two about your empathy and ability to work with patients is a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tread carefully - is he laid back, or lazy?

Honestly, it's probably a little of both. Just out of curiosity, why do you say to tread carefully? Because of the risk of PA ad. coms. calling the professor because the recommendation sounds tood to be true, and then having the professor himself not remember what he wrote since he basically just signed off on it?

BTW, greenmood, thanks for the suggestions!

Honestly, it's probably a little of both. Just out of curiosity, why do you say to tread carefully? Because of the risk of PA ad. coms. calling the professor because the recommendation sounds tood to be true, and then having the professor himself not remember what he wrote since he basically just signed off on it?

Something like that. Lazy people do not do good work and do not follow through on things. I would hate to leave my fate in the hands of a lazy person.

Something like that. Lazy people do not do good work and do not follow through on things. I would hate to leave my fate in the hands of a lazy person.

What if I reminded him to print out a copy of the reference essay and tell him that there's a good chance he'll be receiving phone calls from programs that are following up with him? I just hate to pass up the opportunity to get such an excellent LOR (at least, that's what others who have had him serve as a reference said they received)...

Archived