Has anyone done a Hospitalist rotation?

• Administrator

In this particular case (and without going into too many details) it was a massive disconnect between what my preceptor was expecting me to do and what my clinical coordinator had told me my parameters were.  The fact that I had never worked in a similar setting before was daunting as well, in that I did not really know what was expected of me--how I had approached other rotations was not successful in that setting.  Still, adapted and passed, but it was the lowlight of my clinical year.

I did one, it was my last rotation. I loved it and would have happily applied as part of the team had there been a job opening. As it is, I took the next best thing and at the same hospital.

My preceptor was a graduate of my school and very invested in teaching. He set a pretest at the beginning of the rotation to determine strengths and weaknesses. He gave me a list of goals for the rotation and we touched base frequently. I attended all resident conferences and m&ms plus learners' series held once per week. It was a great experience.

I learned a lot. Real depth with patients, and every day I found out more I wanted to study and learn. The key is to have a structured rotation with a good preceptor, which is important no matter what specialty you're in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

In this particular case (and without going into too many details) it was a massive disconnect between what my preceptor was expecting me to do and what my clinical coordinator had told me my parameters were.  The fact that I had never worked in a similar setting before was daunting as well, in that I did not really know what was expected of me--how I had approached other rotations was not successful in that setting.  Still, adapted and passed, but it was the lowlight of my clinical year.

Ok, that makes sense.  Bummer it was a bad rotation.  I am hoping to do one.

Thanks for your insight Greenmood.

I have a feeling I will stick to my guns and do something in Primary Care, but the lure of something procedure heavy is still there....leftover from my previous occupation. 

Archived