No (literal) contract to offer at position

I've been offered a position at the public health department and was told (twice) that they have no contract to offer/sign. I have asked all the pertinent questions (e.g. malpractice, non-compete, insurance, CME, etc...) and they offer everything needed, but there is no contract to sign. Anyone have experience with this situation or have any thoughts on the subject? It seems strange to me, especially since I will be a state employee. Thanks!

not all that strange

you are an employe and nothing more

I have in the past just asked for a letter of understanding instead of a contract that says things like they cover malpractice, PTO days per year, CME........

Can be just as simple as a bullet list of what the offer is

I've been offered a position at the public health department and was told (twice) that they have no contract to offer/sign. I have asked all the pertinent questions (e.g. malpractice, non-compete, insurance, CME, etc...) and they offer everything needed, but there is no contract to sign. Anyone have experience with this situation or have any thoughts on the subject? It seems strange to me, especially since I will be a state employee. Thanks!

Its not unusual. At the major academic medical center where I work they don't offer contracts to anyone. However, I have an offer letter that has everything a contract has in it spelled out. 

Agree w above remarks. I'm about to return to an academic hospital position & I can not wait. I'm so "over" worthless contracts in the private practice setting. Letter of Offer (or something similar) are not uncommon for hospitals, government positions, etc. Perhaps they can email you a link to pertinent benefits? Good luck!

Archived