pre reqs

All schools require A&P I and 2 w/lab, and microbiology w/lab. From there schools have varying requirements, ranging from 2 semesters of biology w/lab, organic chemistry w/lab, nutrition, biochemistry, etc. You want to go above and beyond that the pre-reqs are in order to make yourself more competitive. I definitely would advise you check the schools you are interested in, make sure you do all the pre-reqs they require, and then do some more.

General Science Pre Reqs:

-1 semester ochem/lab

-2 semesters gen chem/lab

-2 semesters bio/lab

-2 semesters a&p/ab

-1 semester mirco/ab

It's worth keeping in mind that more and more schools are requiring biochemistry and strongly suggest courses like immunology, genetics, pathophysio, etc.

I applied to 3 schools and considered a few more. While I was taking prereqs, I built a table of their requirements and made sure I was able to qualify for all of them. As has been pointed out above, many of the requirements are common and some aren't. It wasn't too hard.

I'm doing EXACTLy what @UgoLong and @bstone said above.  

I went onto this website: http://directory.paeaonline.org, narrowed my list to the schools I was interested in (which in my case were schools that offered what I was looking for, and locations my husband could find work in).  I then visited each and every website for the schools I was interested in (which were over 30!), made an excel spreadsheet of what those schools were looking for in a COMPETITIVE (different from potential) PA student (pre-requisite coursework, GPAs, GRE score, and health care experience hours).  Based on my excel spreadsheet, I was able to  create a tentative school schedule for myself to see how long it would take me to be ready to apply.

Archived